Thread: MP3 files for electronic calls???

surfclod

MP3 files for electronic calls???

I am wondering if anyone has made thier own electronic caller using a speaker and a MP3 player.

This winter I hope to do some coyote and wolf hunting and recent changes to our game laws allow for the use of electronic calls in many circumstances now. Can't really afford something like a FoxPro but I did recently buy a cheap amplified speaker for $5 and I have my iPhone.

What I really need now is a good selection of rabbit in distress, fawn bleats, pup yelps, etc that I can put on my phone and then use out in the field.

Primos has an app for the iPhone that I may try but all I really need is a number of MP3 files and I can make my own play list and use it that way.

I know I have seen lists of game sounds before somewhere online (some free, others a minimal charge) but I have not had any luck lately, just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Basic Member

Re: MP3 files for electronic calls???

the_right_reverend

stevec

I bought a Western Rivers and was not very happy with it. Just not good quality.

After it went south I built one like Varmint als and it works great. only problem was having my Mp3 player on shuffle while in my truck and going from Van Halen to Jackrabitt in distress....

bout caused a wreck!!!!!!

I got all my files from western rivers website.
    Steve

Basic Member

Here is a bunch of good MP3 sound files.

http://www.mscustomcalls.com/MP3.html
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Basic Member

I also built one just like on VarmintAl's website,it's pretty dang loud if you need it to be I just have not had a chance to use it much yet or call anything in with it yet.

Stevec have you had much luck with it?

stevec

I have only used it on crows. Havent coyote hunted in a couple years. Need to get back to it!

Wrked great on the crows.

Steve

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevec
    I bought a Western Rivers and was not very happy with it. Just not good quality.

After it went south I built one like Varmint als and it works great. only problem was having my Mp3 player on shuffle while in my truck and going from Van Halen to Jackrabitt in distress....

bout caused a wreck!!!!!!

I got all my files from western rivers website.
    Steve
    I think I'd load some "Uncle Ted" Nugent instead of Van Halen for your huntin' sounds ........... LOL!!

I have done some MP3 work and even bought a unit made up with a wireless mic system.

I called a coyote while just playing with it (without intending to).

Volume and frequency response (lack of) can be barriers to good sound ..........

My wireless is an Azden ...... it has GREAT RANGE but not good high end freq's .....

Nady makes a better system but lacks the physical range but at 100 yds it's enough.

The MP3 player you chose should have a good backlit display incase you get into low light or night time calling.

Have fun!

Three 44s

shaman

May I recommend

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/201

Downthemall. It makes it much easier to download the files.

Basic Member

Yup, I made one that works really well. I can run it wireless or hardwired. I already had an Ipod and a small sealed lead acid battery. I bought a 500W mini stereo amp off ebay for $21.00 shipped. I did buy the Nady wireless microphone for $99.00 off ebay too. The 2 Speco 50W speaks cost $35.00. I put the mini amp, battery and Nady receiver in an old Dewalt drill carrying case. I can run 2 speakers, facing different directions, from each output of the stereo amp. I can also run 1 speaker, but I bridge the amp outputs to a single jack for that use. Fidelity is good because the amp and Nady system go to 20mhz, and you need those higher frequencies to call yotes. Wireless range is 150 yards+, but I added an external telescoping antenna to the Nady receiver to get that range. Everything fits inside the DeWalt carry case, except for speakers, which makes storage and carrying easy. Plenty of calls available on the web for free.

Would like to see some pics of your rigs if possible.....

I want to try these things out myself soon.

Thx