Thread: Feeding problems

lomfs24

Feeding problems

So I am starting to put together a 6.5x47 lapua on a Stevens long action center feed. Sounds all well and good so far right? What I am finding is that if I operate the bolt quickly I can normally jam a round into the chamber before anything bad happens. However, if I feed at a moderate rate or slowly the shell casing will come clear of steel lips prior to the shell being far enough into the chamber to stay put. The back of the case will come out and to the right and jam sideways in the bolt. If the muzzle of the rifle is tipped up at all when the case comes out sideways it will fall right out of the gun.

Is there a fix for this. Could I get short action box and follower and just space it on the back? Or is there a company out there that makes the metal for this type of application? I would really like to keep it a repeater action because the main purpose of the rifle will be hunting so I would really like to keep the repeater function.

skamaniac

Re: Feeding problems

I don't have any experience with this, but i'm about to do the same build but with a 6x47lapua. I am anticipating the feed problem and have been thinking why i couldn't use the long action mag box and build a damn inside at a point where it would be the right length and then fill the void with epoxy then remove the dam. Just a thought.

lomfs24

I think I know what you are saying. I am not sure if it will work or not. I took a couple pictures because a picture is worth a 1000 words, right?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1181972354

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1181972354

I couldn't figure out how to put a picture in the post so this will have to work. I don't have a photobucket account to post pictures.

But as you can see in the first picture the lips that hold the case are nearly the same length as the case. And as you can see in the second pic the case will completely fit in front of the lips without being engaged in the chamber at all. With a bullet in it will go in a little deeper but not enough to keep the entire case from falling out at the worst possible time.

I may be looking at this wrong but whether you put the epoxy build up in the back of the mag or in the front of the mag, the mag lips would still release the case at the same time. And still way too early. Would there be a way to fit a short action bag box in there and do an epoxy build up behind it? This would put the leading edge of the mag lips closer to the action or closer to the chamber rather. I suppose a good smith could rework the metal on the front of the case but that seems like a lot or work if you could just drop in a SA mag box and build up behind it.

skamaniac

Ok, i think i can see what's happening but solving this problem may be difficult. I have a detachable mag (long action) and i loaded a couple 243 rounds in it and watched to see how they feed coming out of the mag. The case length of the 243 (51.9mm) is just long enough (maybe) to enter the chamber before the rim of the case clears the rear lips holding the case in the mag. This is almost 5mm longer than your case so i'm guessing the case is clearing the rear mag lips before it starts entering the chamber so making a block inside the mag isn't going to help. I have a friend who has an older Savage 110 chambered in 22-250. I can't do it today but i'll give him a call tomorrow and compare mags to see the difference. Maybe one of the older mag boxes from those older "mid-action" models could be made to fit the newer long actions.