Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on a 112 223 single shot

Basic Member

Questions on a 112 223 single shot

I was just about to have Jim order me a new 223 when a friend mentioned he had one he needed to get rid of because of financial problems.
    Only thing is, I'm not real sure what I've got as I can't find a lot of info on it.
    What I do know...
    Model 112 in 223
    Single shot
    Blued receiver with a stainless fluted barrel
    Pre Accutrigger
    Tupperware stock
    He has a BSA 4X16X40 Contender scope on it and a bipod
    Any info would be appreciated as well as idea of value.
    Thanks Guys

Forgot to add that it's right hand bolt and right hand eject.

dcloco

Re: Questions on a 112 223 single shot

THIS is an excellent platform.

Factory stainless barrel?

I have one...but of the blued barrel variety.

Buy a B & C medalist tactical and start shooting small groups!

1:12 or 1:9 twist?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by joebogey
    Model 112 in 223
    I don't think it will fit in a B&C Medalist Tactical Because of the long action.

northlander

If that is a Savage Model 112 Single Shot that would be a "J" Action. As such it will not fit either the long action or the short action stocks. What you have sounds like a first generation Model 112 V. Hopefully it has a stock with it. I have a Savage Model 112 R (repeater) in 25-06. Some parts are few and far between if you need anything. Having said that, SSS would be an excellent place to go if you do need any parts.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by peterf225
    Model 112 in 223
    I don't think it will fit in a B&C Medalist Tactical Because of the long action.
    Thought B & C was making them for the long actions now??

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northlander
    If that is a Savage Model 112 Single Shot that would be a "J" Action. As such it will not fit either the long action or the short action stocks. What you have sounds like a first generation Model 112 V. Hopefully it has a stock with it. I have a Savage Model 112 R (repeater) in 25-06. Some parts are few and far between if you need anything. Having said that, SSS would be an excellent place to go if you do need any parts.

Jim Briggs
    NSS
    Jim,
    You Sir are correct, it is a single shot.
    It is mounted in a tupperware stock.
    Would you have any idea of it's worth? Just a ballpark figure maybe? To be conservative, I would rate it at probably 85 to 90%.
    Thanks

Joey, measure the action screws spacing on it. With it having a stainless fluted barrel it could be and early model fvss-s, or a "J" action like Jim mentioned.

If it is a 5.0" screw spacing it is a true long action and is a rare piece being a long action single-shot. I've seen just the action like that sell for $350-450 alone on here before. If it is a 4.522" screw spacing it is an intermediate short action("J' action for slang) and is hard to get stocks for unless you go to the bigger Savage stockmakers(Stockade, Russo, Richards Microfit, and SSS).
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Quote Originally Posted by peterf225
    Model 112 in 223
    Thought B & C was making them for the long actions now??

They are making the medalist in the LA but it isn't the Tactical A2 style it is a sporter style.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    Joey, measure the action screws spacing on it. With it having a stainless fluted barrel it could be and early model fvss-s, or a "J" action like Jim mentioned.

If it is a 5.0" screw spacing it is a true long action and is a rare piece being a long action single-shot. I've seen just the action like that sell for $350-450 alone on here before. If it is a 4.522" screw spacing it is an intermediate short action("J' action for slang) and is hard to get stocks for unless you go to the bigger Savage stockmakers(Stockade, Russo, Richards Microfit, and SSS).
    pdog,
    Using a tape measure the action screws from center to center are 5 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06

pdog,
    Using a tape measure the action screws from center to center are 5 inches.
    Then it isnt a J action. It is a true long action single shot. They are pretty rare to come by, and if the barrel is in good shape it is worth strong consideration. That also means that any standard long action stock will fit it, so it wont be hard to find something to get rid of the tupperware.

How much does the guy want for it?

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

[/quote]

How much does the guy want for it?

[/quote]

Rifle, scope and bipod =$500.00
    He started at 650 and I talked him down to the 5 bills, but I can't get him any lower. I've pretty much made up my mind to buy it, but I wanted to figure out what it was first.

If you like it then it is worth it. You could most likely part it out and get your money back if you decide to later on.
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

I'm figuring the scope and bipod at 100 bucks. That leaves me with 400 in the rifle.
    As for selling, I won't say I won't, but seldom do I sell any firearm. I have had a few POSs that I've gotten rid of after fair warning to the buyer, but everything else is in the safe. (Which is bustin at the seams right now) :)

Basic Member

pdog, Jim, peterf225 and dcloco

I want to thank you guys for the info and helping me figure this thing out.
    I guess now I need to figure out when the thing was manufactured. (just for my own curiosity)

Basic Member

These were manufactured up until 1997.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Trying to remember if this long-action single-shot was meant for me ?

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer

Trying to remember if this long-action single-shot was meant for me ?
    ...uuuuhhhhhh......YEAH! They all are...right?

Basic Member

I got somethin meant for you alright..... ;D
    You keep yore dirty paws off my rifle. LOL

Basic Member

Well, I've bought a POS I guess. >
    Took it to the range today and using Remington factory ammo, (55s) the best I could do was bust clay pigeons at 200 yards. I'm so disappointed, cause I had such big hopes for this rifle......

jlcpls

Sorry to here it.

Give you $50 for it

shipped.

outlawkyote

Took it to the range today and using Remington factory ammo, (55s) the best I could do was bust clay pigeons at 200 yards. I'm so disappointed, cause I had such big hopes for this rifle......
    LMAO!! Bummer, now you gotta start hand loading for it

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jethro
    Sorry to here it.

Give you $50 for it

shipped.
    jethro,
    I'd almost be tempted to take you up on that, but there's no point in both of us gettin screwed. And I just can't bring myself to do that to a fellow forum member. Soooo, I guess I'm stuck with it. But thanks for tryin to bail me out there pard. It's nice to know someones' got my back.

jlcpls

No problem Joe.

I'm here for ya.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by outlawkyote
    LMAO!! Bummer, now you gotta start hand loading for it
    This rifle has been hanging in a pawn shop with no telling how many hands on it. The original owner was involved in a divorce and pawned it off. It had a little spot of rust on it on the left side of the receiver and a spot under the bolt release on the right side so I figured it was a truck gun. You know how truck guns get after a while.

By the time I got to the range this morning it was already packed, but I got lucky enough to get a table. I set up a couple of "Shoot N Sees" at 50 yards and 100 yards. I figured I'd be lucky to get on the paper at 50 the first shot or two. To my surprise, it was right on the money at 50 so I went for the 100 which was just a bit high for the next two shots. Hmmm.. just as it should be. I was mildly surprised to say the least.
    Since everyone was still shooting, I figured I'd try for something else a little farther out.

The range is only 200 yards total with a high bank at the end. I could see the clay pigeons that someone had left on the bank and I figured what the heck. The first shot busted the cp and I couldn't help but giggle which got me a strange look from the guy next to me. The second shot busted another one and I giggled again and started talking to myself as in " Damn, I can't believe this!" This really got some looks from both sides this time. " Uh sorry guys, bought this thing out of a pawn shop and can't believe how bad it shoots. Really should have known better."
    The whole time I'm thinkin, " Man, I didn't bring enough shells!' LOL

I bought a reloading kit a while back, but haven't had the time to really sit down and do anything with it. But after today, I can see that is gonna have to change. The coyotes around here are about to have a hard life....

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by jethro
    Sorry to here it.

Give you $50 for it

shipped.
    jethro,
    I'd almost be tempted to take you up on that, but there's no point in both of us gettin screwed. And I just can't bring myself to do that to a fellow forum member. Soooo, I guess I'm stuck with it. But thanks for tryin to bail me out there pard. It's nice to know someones' got my back.
    Ok....$45 is my offer...you won't feel so guilty passing on a junker. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast