Thread: Blown primer in .223

threepdr

Blown primer in .223

This is my first post to the Savage forums. I've been lurking for awhile since I bought my Stevens 200 in .223

I took the rifle out and shot it for the first time. I shot very well. I was only able to sight it in at 50 yards, 1/2 inch was my best group. Most of the rounds I fired I had loaded several years ago for a Handi-Rifle. 55grn FMJ, 69grn HPBT and some 45grn HPs. All shot well.

I had loaded 20 rounds of 60grain V-max the night before with 26 grns of BLC2. The first two rounds shot fine with no signs of heavy pressure. The third pierced the primer. The fourth blew the primer and the brass in the head of the cartridge flowed into the bolt head. The brass was Norinco, marked "CJ" "93"

The rifle did exactly as it should have and vented all the gas to either side. I had to pry the spent brass from the bolt, but found no damage to the rifle. I didn't shoot any more because all the rounds I had left were of the same load.

My question is: What happened!?

According to the Hornady website the load of 26 grains was not excessive. I have to admit, the brass was range pickup, so I don't know if it had been previously reloaded. I don't see how I could have overloaded the case. I was using a Lyman 55 measure and weighed every tenth round to verify.

I think I will buy a couple of boxes of Winchester White Box 45grn rounds and only use that brass from now on. I can keep track of how many times they have been reloaded if that was the issue.

Thanks

Mark

dcloco

Re: Blown primer in .223

First...need some more info.

What primer is being used?

Have you checked the accuracy of your scale with a check weight or known weight for calibration?

Next - Hornady does not produce powder. Follow the powder manufacturers recommendation.
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp ....free load data is available from every powder manufacturer.

Last - this is may possibly be a classic example on why to never use range brass. You have no idea who/what was loaded in the case, what it was fired from, or how many times fired. Unless you see somebody open a fresh box of factory ammo (NOT aftermarket reloads), collect the brass and load at your own risk.

threepdr

Thanks for your reply,

The primers were CCI

I miss spoke. I got the data from the Hogden site you referenced. It is a good one.

I have a bucket of .223 and 5.56 brass. Some I fired first time, some I picked up, many have been reloaded I don't know how many times and fired as plinking ammo in an AR-15 and a M-4 carbine.

I don't know if the blown primer was caused by old brass, but just in case, I'll start again with new commerical brass and keep track of my reloads.

Mark

DoubleUp

The Norinco brass is Chinese made, and very cheap stuff. I think you'll find the internal volume less that with Amercian brass, so you could have easily been over max. I've seen it blow primers in the factory loading, so don't think too much of it. I generally shoot Lake City brass. You can buy it new and uncrimped from Natchez when they have it on sale. They have it for $119.95 for 1000 right now. They also sell it in 100's for about $14.95 or 500's for $64.95. It is good stuff and has the most internal case volume on the market for .223.

threepdr

Thanks Doubleup,

Is this the same as the military Lake City?

helotaxi

Same as military Lake City except that since it is new brass, not once fired mil brass, there is no primer crimp to remove.

You said that you were using BL-C2 powder, what was the outside temp? Had your rounds been sitting in the sun? The reason that I ask is that BL-C2 is known for being very temperature sensitive and doing almost exactly as you described when it gets warm.

Nothing that you described would be caused by the brass being range pickup or even cheap brass. You are describing signs of gross overpressure, not brass failure.

Sound like that cartridge/load was way over max pressure. Use quality brass for loads worked up in YOUR current chamber and you'll be fine. Ditch the chinese brass, sell it as scrap brass to recoup some money.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

DoubleUp

threepwdr, I agree with GaCop and helotaxi on the overpressure. Ball 2 is well known for pressure spikes when left in the sun or in the chamber of a hot rifle. Still with the Norinco brass, it would be easier to get overpressure quickly with less case volume. Forget the Norinco IMHO.

Some well known shooters do not recommend Ball 2 for 223 because of the temp spikes. I've shot a fair amount in 223 and 204 and never had a problem, but I don't let my rds. sit in the sun. Benchmark or IMR 8208 XBR will shoot with more velocity and litlle temp sensitivity.

+1 on what "DoubleUp" says. I stopped using BLC-2 years ago. I just recently started using IMR 8208XBR in the 223 and am impressed with it's performance.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

threepdr

The cartridges were in the shade in a covered shooting bench. I'm not sure how long it was in the chamber before I fired it. It could not have been more than a minute or minute and a half. Ambient temp was about 75 degrees.

I have lots of BLC2 on hand, but I think I will invest in another appropriate powder to experiment with.

Thanks

Mark

did the primer press into the hole very easy? that could do it also.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    did the primer press into the hole very easy? that could do it also.
    That could blow the primer, but assuming that the headspace is GTG it really shouldn't have an effect other than a bit of blow-by. Certainly wouldn't cause the brass to stick to the bolt face.

Basic Member

CCI regular small rifle primers are made of thinner brass than the small rifle magnum and benchrest variants.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

Do you remember which ones you used?

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by threepdr

According to the Hornady website the load of 26 grains was not excessive.
    Were you using Hornady's test rifle/barrel with their tested components under their same test conditions? If not...that was the problem, you didn't work up the load in your rifle with your components.