Thread: Barrel swaps and accuracy

montana_native

Barrel swaps and accuracy

For the guys who swap barrels on the same action, when you remove a barrel that you have developed a load for and swap on another, then go back to the original, have you ever noticed a loss of accuracy? The reason I ask is that I have an excellent load for my 300 WM but want to try a 7mm RM barrel on the same action. I am apprehensive about doing this because I don't want to stick the 300 WM barrel back on and have my load not work anymore.

Thanks. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Re: Barrel swaps and accuracy

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg188490

We have all had that thought before removing a barrel.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

For the what it's worth department...

The most accurate shooters and rifles in the world -- those that compete in the National Benchrest Rifle Championships and the Super Shoot -- swap barrels frequently during matches. They use one barrel for light varmint (10.5 pound class), another barrel for heavy varmint (13.0 pound class), yet another barrel for sporter (6mm class), and so forth.

chestsprings

this is my experience.

I had SSS time & true, & place their trigger on a VLP, short action, which had a factory 22-250 barrel on it. Fred also, supplied me with a 223 complete bolt, T&T, & his recoil lug. I put a Bushnell Elite 4200, 8 X 32 on it. To much scope, but that’s another story.

Sold the 22-250 barrel, & bought from Jim (Northlander) a Shilen 22-250, a McGowan in a 223, & Rem 6mm.

I made a crude portable inexpensive vice that I take with me to the range to change the barrels. I fasten it to the bench or table with two clamps, & can change barrels fast.

When I go to shoot, I take all three barrels, usually 60 to 100 rds for all three barrels. I shoot with one barrel, take it off, put on another, etc. for all three. Then might go back & do the 1st, or 2nd barrel again. I don't see any change in accuracy.

Three weeks ago, I was shooting the 223, & it was shooting "lights out"( for me) at 100 & 200 yds... a guy at the range was watching me. He came over, very impressed, & ask a few questions about the rifle. As usual, I told him, it’s a Savage. They shoot.

I then started to change to the 22-250 barrel; he was shocked at me, for changing barrels. Said, you’re never going to get it back shooting like that again. What a shooter, etc.

I explained I do this all the time. Just hope I don’t wear out the threads on the action for as many times as I change barrels. About 45 minutes later after I shot the 22-250, & the 6mm, I switched back to the 223.

No difference in accuracy from shooting the first time. This guy was really impressed, & I’m not that good a shooter. I had him shoot it, pretty sure he will be buying a Savage.

That’s the beauty of a “modular” Savage. I really would recommend if you are thinking of doing it the way I do, have Fred (SSS) T&T it. His work is 1st class..

My opinion, I think the people on the Savage forum don’t realize how good they have it. Dealing with suppliers, like Fred, Jim, & even thought I haven’t used him yet, Sinman.

Great site, & lot of experience people.