Thread: First Savage

Perry

First Savage

I just picked up my first Savage a few days ago. It's an pre-accu trigger 110 in 30-06. The bore on this rifle is pitted from rust,but it looks like the rest of the rifle is in pretty good shape. The guy took $100 for the rifle.

Now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what caliber I should make this rifle. I already have a 30-06 so, I want something in .284 for this gun.

mopar440

Re: First Savage

7mm wsm

ellobo

Its a long action. It can be a hassle to conveert to a short action type catridge. If you want a 7MM look for a long action cartridge like 7MM Muaser or 7MM mag etc.

El Lobo

Basic Member

A 7mm WSM is no trouble at all on a long action!! The bullets can be seated to the lands and still feed from the mag.
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Quote Originally Posted by ellobo
    Its a long action. It can be a hassle to conveert to a short action type catridge.
    Nah, not unless you're going the 17/204/222/223 route...I've got a 260 built on a long action and it works GREAT. Thinking about building a 22-250 on one, too.

Perry

The .284 Winchester looks like something I might want to try. It looks like I can get really good barrel life with that caliber.

Basic Member

I agree with Perry a Winchester 284 would be great. You wouldn't have to change the bolt face. They shoot great plenty horsepower and good barrel life. Now if you don't care about barrel life a 6.5X284 will shoot like crazy and at very long distances. Barrel life is between 600-800 rounds and more of fen than not closer to 600 than 800. They really do shoot awful good. The 284 win shoots almost as good with 4 or 5 times as much barrel life.

Cycler

If you want a 7 mm/.284 round you have a bunch of choices.

7x57 Mauser
    7 mm-08 Rem
    .284 Win
    .280 Rem/7 mm Express
    .280 Ackley Improved
    7 mm Rem. Magnum
    7 mm Weatherby Mag.

And, of course the two short magnums:

7mm WSM
    7 mm RSUM

"Cycler" pretty well sumed it up.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Perry

I have a 7mm-08 already. The short mags are very tempting to me, if it weren't for their barrel life. Maybe I should just get a barrel burner and stop being so cheap.

I like the idea of the 280 AI, very similar to 7mm Rem Mag with a .473 boltface.

Samdweezel05

7mm STW or 7mm RUM.

kweeks10045

280 Ackley...It is one of the most popular wildcats for a good reason. It matches the 7 mag, with less powder and less recoil. You can use '06 brass and re-size. It is an awesome package with 140's.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.