Thread: Model 12 LRP

Basic Member

Model 12 LRP

Is the scope base screw alignment the same as the other actions? Can I use a standard savage short action 20 MOA base on it?
    Is anyone shooting this gun yet?
    Justin

Basic Member

Re: Model 12 LRP

The round top short actions all have the same mounting configuration.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    The round top short actions all have the same mounting configuration.
    Same as standard Short Action?

Yes. All short actions from when they introduced the Accutrigger models on should have the same scope hole size/spacing.

Basic Member

Thanks.

jinx-)

How this rifle workout for you? I'm planing to get one, but there are no reviews, at least I couldn't find any...

Basic Member

I cant find one in 243. only 6.5 creedmore, asked bass pro why they don't stock any ammo for 6.5 and they just laughed.

I can't find one in 243 anywhere.

Got mine in 6.5 CM Tuesday... been busy getting other guns ready for events; may not have time to tinker with it for another week or so.

Basic Member

Just found one online. So they are available. :)

jinx-)

Well, I checked few places around me they all can order them, 6.5 creedmore, forget it never seen such exotic caliber, so I'm thinking 260...

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk
    Got mine in 6.5 CM Tuesday... been busy getting other guns ready for events; may not have time to tinker with it for another week or so.
    Please give us your thoughts on it when you do shoot it.

Okay... here's what I got so far.

After much hounding, I got a new 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor in from Savage Arms a week or two ago. Between one thing (work) and another (running other matches), I didn't get a chance to shoot it right off the bat.

A couple initial impressions:

I have to admit, I do like this general style of stock. I had a Stockade Woodchuck 'varmint' stock on my 10FP for a long time, and it worked really well in a wide range of scenarios. Not ideal for most, but adaptable enough to make work. The finish on the stock and barreled action are very, very matte black. The bolt, however, is not. Bolt handle, yes. Bolt body and head, no. Those parts have a high polish finish like most of the non-tactical rifles in Savage's lineup.

The gun came with two very small Weaver scope bases. First order of the day - throw those useless things away. Next, clean the bolt face. As someone else has noted in recent threads here and elsewhere, the bolt face comes looking pretty scuzzy - to the point where some people question whether its actually a used gun and/or had etching from blown primers. This one wasn't *quite* that bad, but it definitely was looking rather dirty.

Something worth noting: there were some minor tool marks on the bolt face, under all the gunk. A while back Savage engineers decided to spec a little extra material on the bolt faces and then after they had gone out and been hardened and polished, go back in and machine the bolt face flat (Target Actions only, sorry) to get past the slight 'dish' that sometimes occurs as part of the tumbling/polishing steps. I presume these tool marks are artifacts from that secondary machining step.

My initial setup was not what I plan on having on the gun for the long term, but it was what I had readily available: a fixed 24x scope, Burris Signature Zee rings, and a Warne 0 MOA picatinny rail. I took the gun out, shot it, took it home and cleaned it - and was pleasantly surprised at how fast it cleaned up (one quick session with Wipe Out Accelerator and Patch Out). About half-ways through that first range trip, though, the groups had mysteriously opened up, then tightened back down. The next trip... more of the same. This particular scope has been on 'probation' for a while because of similar episodes in the past; this stunt was the final nail in the coffin for it.

For the third range trip I pulled one of my 'good' scopes off another gun and mounted it up on the 12 LRP - a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56mm Hybrid w/ 1/8 moa elev, 1/4 moa windage and a 2DD reticle. I'm not the biggest fan of the 12-42x Hybrid - I'd rather spend my $$$ on a BR model - but it's still a dang fine scope. The only rings I had handy were some Burris Signature Zee medium height, which left just about enough room for one, maybe two playing cards between the front bell and the barrel. In other words, not much!

Factory components are kind of hard to find unless you mail order - none of the local stores have any component brass or loaded ammo. A month or so ago I happened across a little hole-in-the-wall (literally) store an hour n change away, that had five boxes of factory ammo - four of 120 AMax and one of 140 AMax. Key word: 'had'. It all left with me ;D All my shooting thus far has been with the 120 AMax loading - I've got about 10rds of it left, and the one box of 140s. Then we'll see how the factory brass holds up. I don't plan to hammer it much - I've got some Lapua .22-250 brass that I intend to prep and fire-form for any 'hot' loads. But I would like to see at least 5 firings on the factory brass with the factory load data - the mixed reports I've been seeing have me wondering if thats going to happen or not.

Anywho... on to groups and such. The gun shot pretty well, by my standards, considering its completely un-modified (won't stay that way for long) and shooting factory ammo. The stock is a fair bit too short for me - even from the bench it was uncomfortably short and I was unable to get anything resembling a decent cheek weld. As such, I was having to use some bastardized version of shooting *almost* free recoil - from a bipod, and with a trigger not really set light enough for that sort of thing (like I said, untouched). I'll definitely be adding a LimbSavr 1" slip-on recoil pad, for LOP reasons more than recoil reduction, and probably moving to an EGW scope base that sticks out forward over the barrel nut a ways to move the scope forward. And a Karsten cheekpiece, to aid in getting a solid cheek weld.

The gun, as tested:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/firearms/0420111800.jpg[/img]

Groups #1 thru 5 with NF NXS 12-42x hybrid @ 100yds, bipod on a bench, factory 120gn AMax ammunition:

[img width=438 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/load_testing/2011-04-20_1.jpg[/img]

Groups #6 thru 8, same setup, 300yds:

[img width=461 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/load_testing/2011-04-20_6-1.jpg[/img]

[img width=411 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/load_testing/2011-04-20_7-1.jpg[/img]

[img width=492 height=450]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/milanuk/gun_stuff/load_testing/2011-04-20_8-1.jpg[/img]

...and yes, I shanked that low shot in the last pic >

There was starting to be some significant mirage coming from the barrel by that point, and I had a stupid attack and tried to shoot thru it rather than dealing with it. I marked it as two groups via On Target... one without the bad shot, to show the vertical the gun/ammo was holding, and the second with all the shots, since we don't get mulligans in the sports I play

Basic Member

I picked up my LRP .260 today, but haven't had much chance to look at it yet.
    Do the target actions have standard type recoil lugs or are they different from the other Savage lugs that every one replaces?

Target action lugs are machined/ground, not the stamped variety.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

northlander

I don't know if you guys are reading my ads but I have had the Savage LRP Rifles in stock for about two weeks now. I have already sold several of them and I am out of the 6.5 Creedmoor model until my next delivery shows up. I currently do have the 243 Win and the 260 Rem. on the shelf. I am offering these for $875.00 + S&H to your local FFL.

Jim Briggs
    NSS

Basic Member

GaCop, thanks for the info, now I can just go shoot as soon as my .123gr A-max bullets come from Midway. I am a little bummed by the rifle right off the bat. The swivel studs are rusty, and when I took the action out of the stock some of the finish chipped off around the trigger guard. Not huge problems, but just a bit annoying for a new rifle. Still, I can't wait to shoot it!!! Buy one from Mr. Briggs, he is great to deal with!!!!!!

jinx-)

Nice shooting!!! Now I start to doubt my choice in 260, but will see how it flies... Another thing LRT models mysteriously disappeared from local distributors. Called Savage, they told me that LRT's are 6- 8 weeks behind... I know I can order them here, but local prices are lower plus I don't have to pay for shipping...

Word from Savage's marketing folks is more like 12-16 weeks out on about anything...

Basic Member

My rep told me today that Westfield is out 150 days on orders, and the Canadian plant is only 45 days behind.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    GaCop, thanks for the info, now I can just go shoot as soon as my .123gr A-max bullets come from Midway.
    Don't want to have my honey hole sell out of their entire stash, BUT:

Midsouth has the 123gr A-Max for $21.55/box...and no, that's not a mis-print.

AND they just received a shipment of them earlier this week, a couple days before Midway got theirs.

Basic Member

Oh, man!!! I just wasted about $21 not ordering there. How is their shipping vs Midway?

wapaloose

Midsouth shipping is way better on most.

Basic Member

I will have to try them next time!