Thread: Stockade Woodchuck Stock Refinishing ??

GA-SURVEYOR

Stockade Woodchuck Stock Refinishing ??

Hello I have a stockade woodchuck that I bought used and the camo paint applied by the previous owner is chipping. I have always been a fan of the textured / spiderweb stocks. And have a few ? for those more knowledgable than me. I am lookin for the most durable finish that I can apply. ie. one that is resistant to chipping and somewhat scratch resistant and will hold up for years of use. What is the best product for this. The textured Krylon paints, spray or roll-on bedliner, splattered dura-coat?? I also have about 1/2 of a bottle of Norrells moly resin that I could apply over a textured finish if that would work? Thank you in advance for your help.

GA-SURVEYOR

Re: Stockade Woodchuck Stock Refinishing ??

Ok not getting many replies here so let me ask this. Has any one used the Krylon fusion paints or the webbing paints how do they hold up with use. Did you use a primer before painting

I used a primer as a base color and then put webbing over that. It's been very durable. Several hunting trips with no chips.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Team Savage

I used the Fusion and texturized paints. I would clean with acetone to prep. I use a black primer coat. The spider webbing paints work well and add some texture. I find a textured surface easier repair if it gets scratched or damanged. I would assume Dura-coat and Brownell's Alumi-hyde would be a more durable paint.

Alumi-Hyde doesn't require baking like Duracoat but, it does take about five days to reach full hardness unless you have a heating cabinet that will keep the temp at about 90 degrees. The stock will then cure in about 48 hours.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

chadster73

The stuff they use that puts that texture on the stock is called "icing" and can be bought at an automotive paint store.
    Then you'd just paint over it... I hear that Alumadyde-2 stuff is really tuff!