Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have any problems with a barrel from Savage-barrels.com?

ole_270

Re: Anyone have any problems with a barrel from Savage-barrels.com?

Problem is that threads don't mate up on the "peak and valley", nor are they measured in that manner, but rather on the Pitch Diameter (sort of datum line at about the midpoint of the flank). There should be a standard tolerance for the PD for any standard thread and tools to measure this directly. There would always be the old 3 wire method of measuring the PD if the more user friendly tools weren't available. A CNC lathe wouldn't need reprogrammed, just adjust the offset for the threading tool. The operator will be doing that anyway as the tool wears and the bearings heat up and cool down. Been a while since I ran a CNC lathe, but threads aren't that hard on one.

airaddict

i have a stainless 308 1-12" twist with flutes and threaded muzzle on order. i sent ouut a few emails to jon and mcgowan and jon said the have pushed his orders out to 6 weeks and im on week 5. but if it went over 6 weeks to let him know and he will push them for a shipping date.

mcgowan said they are turning them around in about 6 weeks as well.

so a week or 2 to go and hopefully i can get my project done. the wait is terrible but hopefully worth it in the end.

brian

Idahojoe

My brothers barrel was a little longer than 6 weeks but the e-mails were answered promply and the barrel was excellent and shoot scary accurate. Fit and finish is top notch. All I can say well done. Idahojoe

airaddict

finally got mine in. 8 week wait pluus shipping thank to fedex.

barrel looks great! threads were no problem in my receiver. gotta get her cleaned up and to the gunsmith so they can bead blast the barreled action and fit my brake.

brian

Colorado1135

I came across this thread, because you guessed it, I ordered a barrel from savagebarrels and first off I ordered it fluted and it wasn't when I got it, I asked if I could get a replacement quickly for it to be the right one, or do I have to just take a refund for the fluting. the reply I got was he hadn't told McGowen about the fluting, it was just hand written on the copy of his sales reciept. rather than try to get me what I ordered they said" My Bad" and that they refunded the cost of fluting because they didn't think I would want to wait another 6 weeks. I feel like i pretty much got blown off and its a "take it or leave it" response. and now I went to thread it on my action, and sure enough the barrel nut goes on smooth, but the action is super tight after one turn. I wonder if I'll be a repeat customer......... we'll see what happens I guess. I'll post an update when I hear back, hopefully their response gives me the option of getting what I ordered, in a timely fashion. I would be willing to buy a whole new barrel if they would just get it to me asap. I don't build rifles to sit around, I need to USE it. its like waiting 6 weeks for a new engine and then having it be the wrong one and then have to buy another engine and wait another 6 weeks.

Colorado1135

emailed McGowen, the reply I got was fast and very much to my liking. needless to say I will be a customers of theirs for life.
    problem resolved as far as I'm concerned through them

sinman

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado1135

emailed McGowen, the reply I got was fast and very much to my liking. needless to say I will be a customers of theirs for life.
    problem resolved as far as I'm concerned through them
    Wait until you get a good barrel before you make a statement like that haha.

SMK Shoe

ordered a 223 rem 1/8 twist full bull 16 jun. was told 6-8 weeks. 18 july got the fed ex shipping e-mail. Only problem is that I won't be in the states until Oct to make sure it was done correctly. I am going to ream it to a 223 wylde and have a hand throater to open it up for the heavy bullets. So as long as the shank threads are done correctly I could fix anything else. Still scared each time I order a McGowen due to the issues I've had. As soon as I'm back in the states and can call either NSS or Sinman I'll probably be done with McGowan. :-\ :-\ :-\

lmb7784

I guess you can get lemons with any product. I ordered a barrel from them and it came in exactly as ordered, finish is great, went on the action and the barrel nut went on like butter. I've not been able to shoot it yet, but I'm pleased that someone out there seems to be putting out a good product, for a great price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12