Thread: hairless skunk

Basic Member

hairless skunk

hey just wanted to tell ya'll my story. Earlier this evening my duaghter and i were watching t.v. and i noticed something out the front window, from a distance it looked like a ferret, i then got up to get a closer look when i noticed my neighbor who is a cop and his wife walking into my yard , so i opened the door and figured they were going to ask for help getting their ferret, but instead he asked if i had a .22 rifle in which i quickly replied yes i do why, he then told me that it was a hairless skunk across the road. so i told him i would use my 17hmr so i did not have to get very close, once i got the safe opened i loaded 3 rounds just in case, well i went out side and from about 40yds freehanded i took a shot and wouldn't you know it the skunk fell over as you all would say DRT with nothing more than a death quiver, i even got a slight cheer from that guys wife, what was wierd was how shaky i was after the shot why i do not know but it was exciting, not to mention i live inside city limits and the police needed my assistance. anyhow hope you all enjoy i do not know what exactly was wrong with the skunk but he had very little body hair and was acting kinda wierd being out before dark.

J

Senderofan

Re: hairless skunk

I think it probably had the Mange. No hair and wondering around goofy during the day.......that would be my uneducated 2 cents worth. Good thing you put the poor thing out of its misery.

Wayne

Basic Member

that is kinda what i figured that it had mange but i wasn't sure about it wondering around in daylight.

J

Senderofan

I've seen foxes and racoon's with the mange. The are all messed up...wondering around in broad daylight. I think that the mange would still be my worthless guess. Still think you did a service by putting that critter out of its misery.

Wayne

bubbinator

Some years ago my wife and I worked for a major SEUSA city as Animal Contro Officers, I was the Supervisor. She got a call from a construction site about skunks under the contractor's trailer. She checked it out-no good outcome for the good guys! Contractor got all PC- I know the Mayor(also a prick) and said I'll call him to make you get them out! NOT! She gave him the Mayor's phone number and said "call him, he won't come get them out either!) We told him to throw some mothballs under the trailer and the next day they were gone. We never saw a skunk mange, but did catch the 4th rabid possum in 50 yrs found in AL. Coyotes and dogs were common mange victims, eliminated immediately when seen/or trapped.

HollowPoint

A Hairless Skunk Huh?

That's like a double-whammy for a skunk.

They already stink to high-heaven; and to be funny looking or ugly as well. I think you did him a favor by putting him out of everyone's
    misery.

HollowPoint