Thread: Just bought first Mdl 110, general guidance?

hal9000

Just bought first Mdl 110, general guidance?

I've never seen guns for sale at a yard sale before, but this one had them... I walked away with a mid 90's vintage 110 in 30-06 with a reported 250-350 rounds through it. Based on the general lack of wear on the bolt and other friction surfaces I'm inclined to believe it.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anybody has suggestions for problems to look for, beware of, or for potential improvements that could be made.

Also, if anybody reloads and has had really good luck with a specific combination, I wouldn't mind having a few good starting points.

Thanks,
    (And by the way, since this is my first post I guess I should say hi :))

claysshotgunner

Re: Just bought first Mdl 110, general guidance?

Welcome. And congratulations on the find.

My suggestion would be to spend $12 and become a member of this site. There are many articles you can see then that will help answer your questions.

Samdweezel05

My suggestion is to sell it before you figure out what you can do with it. It never ends. Swap the barrel, change the trigger, change the stock, swap the barrel again, tweak the trigger a bit more, modify the stock you just installed and then swap the barrel again. Welcome.

ellobo

You didnt say if it had a scope on it. Does it have a scope mtg base? If not check to see if it has a flat rear on the reciever. If so, make sure you get a mount made for the flat rear reciever. If you are going to use this for hunting, as is will work just fine. Just check that the barrel and tang are free floated and no copper buildup in the bore and you should be good to go. It most likely has the old 3 screw trigger on it which can be adjusted. Come back here for instructions, easy to do.

El Lobo

Baryngyl

Do you mind if we ask you what you paid for it?

Every time I have ever seen guns in yardsales they want an arm & leg for them.

Michael Grace

hal9000

Thanks ellobo, I do plan to use it for hunting. After hearing that some people complain about the triggers, I was surprised that it felt as good as it does. Maybe a little heavier pull than I'd like, and with more overtravel, but thats about it. I haven't pulled the stock off yet but so far my only plans are to adjust the trigger (found a good write up on that) and probably bed the action. (haven't found a good write up on bedding a 110 yet... so if you know of one :) )

I got the seller to come down on price by having him remove the scope, It had a bushnell on it that wasn't worth what the guy paid for it, and I had a spare simmons prosport 6.5-18x (my emergency scope) to put on it until I find something nicer to put on it. Anyway, without the scope I ended up paying $275 (he wanted $650 to start, more than a new one would cost me), which is a little more than I'd normally pay for a used rifle, but I was already shopping for something new and more expensive, so this purchase saved me from spending $1000+ on a brand new .300wsm and scope.... at least for now.

Its the flat rear base model, but I got the rifle with rings/bases. The only issue I ran into scope-wise is that the front adjustment ring on my scope wouldn't quite clear the barrel with the rings/bases included, and the next step up I could find was 3/8-1/2" taller. Since I only needed about 1mm I just shimmed the scope bases with some aluminum stock until I can find exactly the right bases.

As long as I'm at it, can anybody tell me what type of accuracy to expcet from an otherwide unmolested 110? The seller was claiming roughly 10" grooups at 500 yds which sounds pretty loose, but then again, when we pulled the scope off it turned out the front mount wasn't fully tightened down....

Samdweezel05

10" at 500 wouldn't supprise me with a sporter barrel depending on how fast you took the shots in the group. That barrel would heat up pretty quick and throw the POI off as it got hotter with each shot. This is why the heavy varmint barrels are chosen for long range target.

hal9000

10" is only 2 moa if I'm not mistaken. My experience is that just about any decent quality rifle should be able to shoot single MOA groups with the right ammo no matter whether the manufacturer guarantees it or not. I hope you aren't implying that the 110 isn't capable of 1 MOA groups in stock form That would be a disappointment indeed!