Thread: Bent Savage Receiver...ouch!

dcloco

Bent Savage Receiver...ouch!

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...2469129&page=1

Not mine. Believe action was in the wrong position in the action wrench.

Re: Bent Savage Receiver...ouch!

The really surprising part is how many "experts" on that site don't have a clue. I'm not even close to being an expert, but it seems to me that everything back of the locking lugs/action interface could be made of aluminum (AR-15) or plastic (Glock, etc) and be just fine. Bend it back and be done with it. The operator could have been a little more upfront about how it happened. Or am I the delusional one?

I told him to send it to Fred. He fixes twisted actions all the time.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Pretty funny the guy keeps insisting he had the action wrench as close to the nut as possible. Just can't happen this way if that was the case. I wonder if when he uses twist ties they twist at the opposite end as well. lol He just couldn't have been using the tools in the correct location or he has some serious telekinetic powers.

I don't subscribe to that forum,

I have a couple of "how to" pics if someone wants to copy them over there onto that thread. Maybe stop someone else from making the same mistake. Since that OP won't post pictures of how he had the wrench on, I take it to mean he now realizes he had the wrench in the wrong place.

Feel free to send these over if you want...

[img width=600 height=450]http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/Step7.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/Step6A.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/Step4.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr268/slowpokeslim/misc1.jpg[/img]
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

That&#39;s how I use my barrel vise I converted to an action vise. No action problems after at least six builds.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

racinready300ex

I bent one of my actions, because I didn&#39;t use the tools right. Just like he probably did. Fred at SSS fixed me up.

ar15kittykat

I posted reply on SnipersHide, OP of that post HAD to install action wrench at rear instead of front, even though he insists he installed action wrench at front of receiver near recoil lug, which defies physics.

If the action wrench was installed at the front part of the receiver near the recoil lug, there would be NO twisting force to bend the action like that, that image posted showed there was force held at the rear of the action when force was applied to the barrel nut @ front . Even if the wrench action had action screw hole or not, action wrench should have been installed at front of receiver, just right behind recoil lug.
    I have re-barreled 7 Savages, and never had a problem.

OP, just chalk it up as a learning experience of action wrench installed at wrong location.

[img width=600 height=367]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/savageBent2ng.png[/img]

[img width=600 height=367]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/savageBentng-1.png[/img]

dcloco

I believe that action could be straightened though. I would give a wack at it. That part of the action just provides a convenient place to mount a trigger...and that is about it.

Uncle Jack

You gotta wonder at what point in the process this intellectual giant finally realized that something was amiss.

uj

HollowPoint

It feels terrible when you inadvertently screw something up like this.

I know cause I did something similar to one of my Enfield No.4 actions when I tried
    to remove the barrel myself without the proper tools.

It wasn&#39;t nearly as bad as this Savage receiver and I was able to make it right simple enough.
    It&#39;s just the fact that I had to learn the hard way that makes such an ordeal so disheartening.

Even without a written explanation of what or why it happened, you can tell just by
    looking at the picture exactly why this receiver got twisted the way it did.

HollowPoint

Samdweezel05

You would really hope that someone who is willing to change barrels on a savage would at least have the common sense to read up about it first. And then to post it in an open forum and lie about how you did it is another story all together. He knew how he screwed it up but proceeded to start a thread about how he did it all correctly and this is what happened? Where do these people come from?

Basic Member

I ALMOST feel sorry for this guy, but having NEVER rebarreled any rifle, i bought a bbl nut wrench, made some wooden blocks, and removed 2 bbls(Stevens 200) with out a problem.....i never thought i was lucky til i saw this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you&#39;ll fall for anything!

[img width=450 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/funny%20pic/PS_0772W_CAN_EXPLAIN.jpg[/img]
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

showgun

Used the tool at the rear action point - if in the front, He twisted the wrong direction.