Thread: Please confirm my barrel shank size.

MDHOGGER

Please confirm my barrel shank size.

I am pretty sure it is a large shank. It is a custom build on a Savage Target Action and on Savages Part Finder it is listed this way 'TGT ACT 223 RIGHT PORT AT SS. I looked up the barrel nut and its size is listed as 1 1/8". I measured the length of the nut and it is 5/8". There is no step down in front of the nut and the barrel diameter is pretty consistent from shank to muzzle at 1.118" I would call the gunsmith that built the rifle but I want to order a pre-fit barrel and I feel he might not like me not going through him. I would rather not take the barrel off at this time to measure the thread diameter, as it is a wildcat and I don't want to go through head spacing it with a fired case.

RWO

Re: Please confirm my barrel shank size.

You have a large shank barrel.

RWO

Basic Member

That step in front of the barrel nut has caused more confusion than the people that keep refering to it think it does. All large shank barrels DO NOT have a step. Your target action is a large shank.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

MDHOGGER

Thanks guys I wanted to make sure before ordering the pre-fit barrel. I am wanting to do a 22BR for groundhogs using the new Hornady 53 grain V-Max. I asked Pac-Nor to email me a copy of their reamer print and Penny sent me five different prints. I think I found the best reamer for my build that will work with Lapua brass and have minimal lead to work with bullets in the 50 to 60 grain range. The reamer has a .248 neck for minimal neck clean up and a short neck chamber which should not be problem with the shorter bullets I plan to use. I have a email in to Pac-Nors tech line to confirm my reamer choice and to confirm they do the large shank barrels.