Thread: Several newbie questions

Basic Member

Several newbie questions

I picked up my rifle last night from the FFL. Its a left hand Savage 16 chambered in .270 WSM. Its in great shape, and was a great buy. The scope it came with is really cheap though (Tasco True Mildot), and I think thats the first thing that I want to replace. I am a big fan of Vortex optics, and was wanting to put a Diamondback on it. So the question is, is there any advantage to going with a 3.5-10x50 or a 4-12x40 over the standard 3-9x40? This is going to be a hunting rifle for CO,WY,NE primarily, so longer shots are going to be likely. Is there a point where if I go with the 3-9, I would be wishing I would have gone for a little higher mag or obj.??
    Second question... scope base and rings... I know literally zero about this stuff, as I am a longtime bowhunter and never really gave gun hunting much thought until moving out west. The base and rings that came with the cheap scope, appear to be just as cheap, so I would replace them as well. I've read that a one-piece rail is better than a 2 piece base, is that correct? For decent hunting accuracy, would something like the 1 piece EGW picatanny style rail be a good choice? Would that then limit my ring choices to picatinny-style rings or do other rings fit that rail?
    Third question... I've read alot where guys say bipods are not good for accuracy. Are they talking paper accuracy, benchrest shooting? The rifle came with a harris bipod with long legs. It puts the gun at a perfect height when in a seated position. Seems like it would be good for hunting.. Should I keep this, or sell it and add to the scope fund, and get some shooting sticks or something? When people say bipods adversely affect accuracy, what kind of scale are we talking? like that 1/2" group becomes 1" ? Or is the impact much more significant?

375Win

Re: Several newbie questions

I like a one piece base (B-Square) for my rifles and use Leupold or Warne QD rings as I prefer low power variable for my hunting rigs and swap in a high power scope for load developement. If you have no plans for changing scopes alot Burris Signatures are a favorite of mine. For a Hunting scope I look for a scope that has at least a 40' FOV on the bottom end, you never know when you'll be in a situation where you have to take a shot at 20'(one that snuck in behind you, going into the thick stuff to finish one off). Most of the scopes that have 2x-3x on the bottom end will do that, get the clearest(best ) glass you can afford. A good 3x9( Conquest/Elite 4200) will be alot better long range scope than a cheap higher power scope. You can substitute any premium scope I just used the Zeise and Bushnell as an example. For top end power anything is the limit.

Bipods get into accuracy problems when the forend of the stock is not stiff enough and the stock hits the barrel when weight is put on the very end of the forend, the same thing happens when a sling is used as a shooting aid with a flimsy forend.

375Win

nuclabuyer

I prefer a little more power on my hunting scope. I live in Co and do alot of hunting both archery and rifle. I usually like 4.5-14 for the med range, 100-600 yard big game rifle, chambered in 300wm. My coyote rifle's have 20 to 25 power and my 30-378 long range has a nightforce 8-32. I think it truely depends on the hunting that you are going to do. I would say if you are going to be stalking animals you are looking for the 2-10 or 3-9 range scope. If you are looking to jump canyons, and that is all you want it for, I think a little more magnification is in order. Do you need 8-32 for a hunting rifle, umm I would say no. But I was shooting my steel gong at 1300 yards and I can barely see it with my 4.5-14. But on the other hand, I wonldn'd shoot at game at 1300 yards with a 300wm, it could do the job, I just want to be sure.

Bipods are ok if you have a good stock, at factory stock is a little flimsy and might make the barrel and the stock come into contact with each other. And as far as bases go, I use the EGW bases when I can. They are good quality and I have never had any problem with them. Rings, I use the burris rings signature rings, also have not had any trouble.

Basic Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. nuclabuyer, I'm in Longmont. I bought this rifle primarily to take advantage of late season cow tags, WY doe antelope tags, etc. I get my bowhunting fix early, and want to capitalize on filling the freezer, for the most part. I'd imagine that longer shots are going to be the norm, versus short shots. I figure some yote hunting will be in order as well.

nuclabuyer

That is the way I am, usually I am looking at 300-400 yards. I dont really have any reason for a 100 yard gun. And I love the late season cow tags. There is no reason to ever not have meat in the freezer, of course I hunt on private land so it is a little more of a gimmie then usual, but still, it only takes a little work.

375Win

Forgot to add the picture this with an Elite 4200 1.25x4x24mm #4 with Ill. Dot and on 4x it is an easy 300yrd coyote rig.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Browndaug/squirelstroop4200007.jpg[/img]

375Win