Thread: Removing scope base screw stubs in a MkII TR?

Basic Member

Removing scope base screw stubs in a MkII TR?

I could use some advice here. I'm handy, but I'd also like to get suggestions on how to best approach this. I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything on topic.

I recently purchased a new MkII TR that came with two piece bases already mounted. I need to switch over to a DIP 25 MOA single piece base, but I couldn't get the factory installed mount screws to budge - even liberal application of Kroil over two days and a torch wouldn't break them free. I managed to strip out the head sockets; I then drilled the heads out and got the bases off.

Now I have four screw stubs that I think are either fixed in place with a high temp threadlocker or are very stretched. The stubs are short enough to not be a good candidate for Visegripping off, nor are they long enough to allow decent slotting.

I called Savage and the CS lady spoke to their gunsmith - he's insistent that no threadlocker is used at the factory. Someone else suggested that they may be trying to get too much mileage out of their tap and created an undersized threaded hole which is giving me the interference fit from hell.

My first thought at this point is to drill 3/64" pilot holes in the stubs, apply heat with a torch or soldering iron to break down any possible threadlocker, Kroil them 2x a day for a few days and break them out with an EZout.

Comments or suggestions?

Just a guy.

Basic Member

Re: Removing scope base screw stubs in a MkII TR?

Well now, that wasn't so bad after all.

I Kroiled the stubs a few times, then picked up a fresh 5/64" bit on the way home tonight. I centerpunched each stub and started slowly drilling one, and before I even applied any pressure it moved. I was able to spin all four out just using my fingers and a pair of forceps. Whether it was the Kroil or the impact of the centerpunch, they loosened up on their own.

The DIP 25 MOA base is mounted and threadlocked (purple, not red!) and now I'm just waiting for the 10x42 to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully we can take a maiden voyage this weekend!

Just a guy.