I am thinking of a short to mid range deer/pig gun that makes a big hole, without a bunch of recoil, so having had a 35 Rem in a Marlin once before that cartridge came to mind.

Before I go into it, I'll explain whe the 35 rem. I thought about the 358 Win, since I already have it set up for 308, but in my experience, most of the time the cartridges that are down loaded that much (to 35 Rem velocities) are not real accurate. same goes in the 338 Fed end. Also, since I live in Kalifornia, it has to be lead free bullets, so I'm limited pretty much to Barnes, regardless of caliber. I know there's a couple others, but not in 35.

I have a couple questions, before I proceed. First, the case head size on the 35 Rem, is .460 and the 308 is .473, so I probably can't use that bolt head. With the 223 being .378, would I (or someone) be able to machine it out to accept the .460 case head? The Barnes bullets are a bit long, but I might be able to seat them out farther with the slightly longer action and magazine for the 308.

Thoughts and opinions? Or should I just stick to the 308 and call it good?