Thread: Where to start?

Basic Member

Where to start?

I am getting overwhelmed by the information and options out here.

I purchased the Hornady manual and read the front portion before the ballistics charts. I am at a loss of where to start. Now that I have this book, does that limit me to only reloading Hornady bullets unless I go get a book or something for other bullets? Im assuming Hornady specs for BC and COL are specific to THEIR bullets only. I'm pretty much set on powder, thats straight forward from what it seems in the book.

I was curious as to what to start with when reloading for my Savage, so I stopped in here and found so many different combos of powders, bullets, primers, etc. Will sticking to just Hornady severely limit me? I want to work on my .308 loads to get nice groups, at least for now until it gets back closer to deer season.

Cover Dog

Re: Where to start?

Most all company's that make bullets/powder have their reloading manuals online for you to view and copy. Most just list the bullets that they manufacture, but powder company's usually list many different company's bullets.

When using you Hornady manual, if not using their bullets, just start a little lower and work your way up. And then cross reference with what you have found on the internet from the other company's.

Re: Where to start?

Here's a couple of online databases.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...aspx?gtypeid=2

I would say that at first, as you get your feet wet in handloading, yes, I would strictly stick to using the Hornady bullets that correspond to your manual. Safer that way for starting out. Unless you want to pick up a few more manuals. You can never have too many manuals. I probably have a dozen or more myself.

As you get more proficient, and grow accustomed to what is "supposed to" happen with your handloads, then maybe you can branch out carefully and start extrapolating data to work with other components.

At first though, I would advise against it. You're working with lightning in a bottle here, and the forces of pressure must be treated with care and respect that they deserve to keep you and everyone around you safe.

I do sometimes extrapolate data from one bullet to another, but I do so with deliberate care. There are some dramatic differences between certain bullets, even though both may be .308 caliber, and weigh 180 grains, they will achieve different pressure curves with identical powder and primers.

Just use caution. You can always come on here and ask. There's lots of us old reloading coots with a stack of manuals that should be able to pull up the recipe you're looking for.

Oh, and don't be afraid to buy a few more manuals...

You can never have too many manuals..

12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot