Thread: WEC school of gunsmithing... ar-15 fsb and clamp on rear sight on Savage?

Basic Member

WEC school of gunsmithing... ar-15 fsb and clamp on rear sight on Savage?

Wondering. If you mounted a clamp-on ar-15 fsb on a savage barrel with a barrel diameter of .75" at the muzzle, and a detachable rear sight on a savage receiver mounting rail....would they line up?

I'm guessing in the wide world that someone from the Wile E. Coyote school of gunsmithing has tried this... so I figured I'd ask.

Just barely considering building an iron sight rifle with a very long sight radius.

Basic Member

Re: WEC school of gunsmithing... ar-15 fsb and clamp on rear sight on Savage?

Well, I know from the ar side of things how high standard clamp-on rear sights are from their base at the top of the rail, and how high the front sight is from the top of a .625 or .75 barrel.

So, now i need to know how high above center bore the top of a sight rail is on a savage.

If someone knows that... great. I'll try to get a guestimate off my .358

helotaxi

Standard above bore height for an AR using the standard front sight base is right around 1.5" or a little more.

Basic Member

yep, i got that part. I just need to figure out height from center of bore, to bottom of the rsb if mounted to a scope rail. obviously to figure out if the arrangement would line up.

If you measured the outside of your action dia. and divided by two that would give you the radius from the center of the bore to the out side of your action. Then just measure from the flat of your scope rail/base to the bottom of the round part of the action. Take that measurement and subtract the radius and that should give you distance from center of the bore to the top of the scope rail/base.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

KRP

The front sight clamps on correct? Alignment would be an issue of you not the sight then. Elevation...somewhere from between your feet and halfway to Chicago I'd guess. Nothing some welding/filing/cutting/milling/grinding can't fix. Put it on and shoot it then adjust from there is your best bet.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bootsmcguire
    If you measured the outside of your action dia. and divided by two that would give you the radius from the center of the bore to the out side of your action. Then just measure from the flat of your scope rail/base to the bottom of the round part of the action. Take that measurement and subtract the radius and that should give you distance from center of the bore to the top of the scope rail/base.
    yep, i know this

i know a rear sight will be 1.5" above the rail, fsb will be 2.6 above bore. I just need to compare the difference in height of rear rail to height of top of muzzle to an ar to know if there will be enough room for adjustment in the sights.

Basic Member

well, my WEC measurements tell me that the top of top rail on a .308-style savage receiver is at 1.025", while the top rail on ar-15 is at 1.1" above bore. (have to confirm a couple of ar measurements, and whether or not the ar sights are built to be a straight line fsb to rsb). so.. thinking my project could work.

oh... do need to find out if the radius of a .223-style savage receiver is the same, smaller, or what.