Alright, so I just got a 6.5x55 barrel from savage-barrels.com. The gun is a Savage 110 LA. I have a Sightron Big Sky 4-16x42 on it. I want to use it for distance shooting on plates and deer. Out to 1000 yards on steel and 600-700 yards on deer. If you think this is unethical please explain why. Looking at the velocity and energy at that distance, I see no reason why the 6.5x55 wouldn't kill a deer that far away. I need help with powder and bullet selection. I have some H4350 that I want to try and I can get H4831 if you guys think it's better.

As far as bullets go... I want something that is good for long distance. Originally, I was looking at Nosler Accubonds, Partitions, Hornady Interbonds, Berger VLDs, etc. I am starting to think that for long distance, those premium hunting bullets would be going too slow to mushroom well. Now I'm looking at something with a little faster expansion (Nosler Ballistic Tips, Hornady A-Max, etc.). Does anyone have any insight into long range hunting with this or similar calibers and what bullet would work best for 600 yard shots on muleys?

-James.