Thread: Newbie with a Savage 110 FP Tactical .308

JohnB

Newbie with a Savage 110 FP Tactical .308

Hello

Just purchased this rifle from a local gun dealer here in Missouri over the weekend, and mounted a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 (Dead-Hold BDC) on it. Had wanted a .308 and a heavy barrel, and it looks to be in mint condition. With the scope it all came out to around $700 (scope cost $250). The trigger feels light and crisp, and everything seems to be snug and not loose.

Was wondering if some of you fine folks could assist me with a few questions:

1. There are a lot of WTS posts all over the web for this model, and little else. Are there some issues with it? Was this a respectable choice?
    2. Was thinking of getting a Harris bench rest tripod, but have seen some people suggest using bags instead. The reasons seemed murky to me. Thoughts?

Thank you

725franky

Re: Newbie with a Savage 110 FP Tactical .308

If you are asking about a Harris bi-pod vs a bag; then I would say that both have their advantages and disadvantages. A bi-pod is going to be lighter, more compact and somewhat versatile. Bi-pods come in different lengths and each has it's own purpose, a 6-9" is great for shooting from a bench and for shooting from prone; but, it would be useless from a sitting position.
    A bag will also work for shooting from the bench and from prone, while also providing a slight amount more stability (which can translate into accuracy); however, most bags are somewhat big and heavy. A bag won't be as much use outside of target shooting, but it will allow for a slight amount more accuracy.

If you could try both that would be the best way for you to decide what will work for you.

-Frank

Most police/military tactical rifles use a bipod. The benchmark in this area is the Harris. Bipod shooting is accurate but not as rock solid stable as bags. If you prefer to shoot from a more stable bag, weight can be reduced dramatically by filling the bags with corn cob media. The rear bag I used for my department sniper rifle was filled in this manner to cut down weight.
    I think you'll find your rifle will shoot extremely well fed with quality factory ammunition or, best of all, handloads. The scope currently on your rifle will serve well out to about 400 yards. For longer range shooting and tighter groups, you will want to up grade to a higher magnification variable like a Vortex 6.5X20X50AOor something similar.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

JohnB

Thank you both for your answers :)