Thread: Looking for load for Fiocchi brass w/40gn V-Max

Looking for load for Fiocchi brass w/40gn V-Max

We have a shooter in our group that is using Fiocchi 40gn V-Max in a Remington 700, which likes the ammo. He doesn’t reload so he passes the brass to two of us that do reload. BTW, the same ammo doesn’t shoot good in our Savage rifles(Model 10 and Model 12).

We have tried various loads with Hornady 40gn V-Max and have been unable to get a satisfactory group in either rifle using the Fiocchi brass. We have used Varget, Benchmark, BLC2, RL10X, and X-Terminator. Loads were with Remington 7 ½ primers.

We have noticed that the brass is heavier and also has less case capacity. We started with the starting recommended loads and increased to almost max. I did encounter flattened primers before I reached a max load with Benchmark and BLC2.

We are just wondering if anyone else has had success in using Fiocchi brass. Maybe it just doesn’t like Savage barrels. We sure hate to throw away free brass.

Thanks

Re: Looking for load for Fiocchi brass w/40gn V-Max

Hi my go to load for 223 cal is 26gr of H4198 with the 40gr vmax's, coal is set at 2.200 and with 3800 fps who could ask for more.
    Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

scope eye

Are you using Fiocchi brass?

We have loads already worked up for our .223's that are very satisfactory, using Winchester & Remington brass. We just can't find the right combo for Fiocchi brass.

Lago

Basic Member

strange. I developed loads last week for 3 different 223's, a savage, DPMS, and a ruger shot over 300 rounds with 5 different brass and never had a problem. I shot a ten shot group that made one hole with the savage with mixed brass just to shoot up the bullets. unfortunately none of it was fiochi but several had different case volumes. Never really seen a case that couldnt be made to shoot.

Hey Lago you or who ever reads this probably won't believe this but I never sort my brass, I must have 2000 loaded rounds of 223 with 20 plus differant variations of brands and 10 differant loads, and never have a problem with consistency, my take is that it probably has to do with me loading on the ragged edge and that eliminates alot of quirks, "when in doubt more powder" I don't know if this will help you I am just telling you what works for me, on that note I run up loads to the max until I start to get sign's of pressure, and then run them one grain less of powder and that's for all my rifles, and that has allways worked for me.
    Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member

Mine like 26 gr of H335 under a 40 gr V Max, I use this for prairie dogs and fireforming in my 223 ackley, it also shoots swell in my Stevens 200 truck gun.

Mike

1Shot

...send me 20 pcs. & I'll work someting up for you..lol...

We get 1 1/2" groups @200 yds with our Savage rifles. If we can't do that with the Fiocchi brass, I will just load it up for my spray and pray mini-14.

lago