I have a long action Savage in .300 WM and a short action Savage in .308 win. The idea I've been turning over is to see if I can utilize the short action gun as a switch barrel gun.

The advantage would be be that I would be shooting the "same" gun for familiarity and I would only need one scope. The fact that with heavy bullets seated near the rifling I have to feed the .300WM single shot style anyway; which makes it no more complicated to just use a short action... One of the questions I have though is: Is the short action strong enough? I believe that I've read that the only difference is the length but I just want to confirm.
Next question is: is it going to be as simple as just buying another short bolt and a .300wm bolt head? Are there any short action bolts that come with the proper bolt head (short action caliber with the same bolt face)?

The short action is a 10fp that I put in a Choate Tactical stock with the factory .308win barrel. The long action is a 116 that is in a Choate Varmint stock with a McGowen .300WM barrel. The tactical stock is more comfortable and I like the idea of getting used to shooting one gun instead of two... If it works out.

Ideas? Opinions?
I'd love to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

Frank