Thread: New Member/New Savage

KBR97

New Member/New Savage

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. 8)

I just picked up my second .22 rifle today. Walking around in Dick's Sporting Goods today I stumbled across the gun counter...Hmm wonder how I got over here.
    Out of the corner of my eye I caught a green synthetic stock...asked to look at it, Turned out to be the exact gun I've been interested in, a Savage Arms FVXP. Long story short...filled out papers, the dude at the counter mounted the scope for me, I grabbed a $15 dollar soft case, and out the door I went. Picked up 200 rounds of CCI mini mags on the way to the range. Then spent the next 45minutes to hour sighting in the scope that was "supposedly" laser bore sighted. Lots of fun. Can't wait till next time.

2 questions....
    - I remember reading somewhere about the last round in the mag not loading properly...yea..it kept happening. What cause's this.

- What type of range/accuracy can I expect from this gun using the 40g CCI mini mags?

I'm completely new to this stuff so please bear with my newbie questions. Im used to just plinking around with my SKS and GSG5. I would like to use this rifle to get a little more serious with my shooting. Maybe one day jump to a larger caliber like my Ruger 30-06. But for now I'm really loving the price of .22 ammo.

[img width=600 height=239]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i77/g0tink87/SavagemarkIIFVXP.jpg[/img]

Tracer

Re: New Member/New Savage

I have been having some trouble pushing a round into the chamber in both our Savage model 93 rifles, which are in .22magnum caliber. The clip either moves around or it doesn't lock in place at the proper height in the magazine box. It is kind of a pain in the rear but both rifles are very accurate.

Old No7

Welcome! She looks like a good shooter, so good luck with her!

I've had the same "last round in the mag not loading properly" with my BTVS, but I haven't found a root cause or fix yet -- hope someone will add some hints here. On mine, it seems like the nose of the round is aiming too high. Hmmm... That make me suspect the follower -- I'll have to take some measurements of how rounds 1 thru 4 sit, and compare that to how #5 sits. Maybe... Just maybe, the rim of the rounds below 1-4 causes the back end to raise up and the bullet nose to drop down 1/32" or so? Then with no other rim below bullet #5, I'm suspecting the angle of the nose is different.

Well this doesn't solve our problem yet -- but you got us thinking about it!

I have not tried CCIs, but my BTVS loves Wolf Match Target. Many other Savages do too, or so I've read, so you might want to spring for a couple of boxes to see how she likes it.

Tight groups!

Old No7

bones44

Same problem here too guys. Called Savage customer service and they shipped a new one for free and problem solved. It has something to do with the lips on magazine clip. Also on mine if I pushed up on original mag the round went in. Make sure you register the gun warrantyfirst. You can do it online in like 30 seconds on their website. Good luck guys !!