Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: savage 110BA replacement barrels, bolts, lugs

ghostwriter

Re: savage 110BA replacement barrels, bolts, lugs

Yes, you are correct, they need to supply a whole bolt assembly to make this switch of calibers as quick and painless as possible... perhaps being done under conditions very different than sitting at a gunsmithing bench with a rifle vise.

My purpose was to secure a complete "second rifle" without the need for detailed disassembly or tools required. This satisfies all the requuirements. The choice will be determined by the conditions and this will make the choice so easy.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghostwriter
    OK, After extensive searching and numerous calls to a few different people this is the result of everyone's awesome input and help.
    Savage has agreed that the 110 BA in the .300 Win Mag/,338 Lapua Mag rifle has the same receiver and the only difference is the bolt assembly (bolt face), the barrel, and magazine. Here's what they have agreed to do...

Parts required:

Bolt Assembly for .338 LM $202.
    Barrel chambered for .338 Lapua $211.
    Muzzle Brake (same for both calibers) $60.
    Magazine for .338 LM $113.

They will assemble and test fire the rifle and return all parts to me in a condition to re-assemble it here at my convienence or necessity to either caliber and do it within 2 weeks for a total of $655.00

What a deal. It took quite a bit of conversation to explain they were the same rifle, just different chamber and bolt, but I was able to get what I wanted. Thank you all.

Schweet!!! 8) 8) :D
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Ok maybe I'm missing something here. I see your point for the complete bolt assembly but to switch barrels you're still going to need the tools to do it. At least a barrel nut wrench and the proper headspace guages.

ghostwriter

Ever see a takedown rifle? With more than one barrel? Same thing.

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by ghostwriter
    in fact the barrels are the same (just a different chamber) and the brake is different having a slightly larger hole for the .038" bigger bullet.
    What? So it's the same barrel with a different chamber? Must be a tight fit to get a .338" bullet to push down a .308" hole. Or maby the .308" bullet is a bit lose in the .338" hole, I don't know

Take down rifles with more than one barrel don't need to be headspaced every time you change barrels. The barrels more or less "snap" on and all barrels were headspaced for that one action. When you decide to put your old barrel back on you will need at least a barrel nut wrench and headspace gauges.

ghostwriter

Yes, at the least you will need to tighten the barrel nut, but also note, these two different calibers use the same barrel, and muzzle brake. Of course the chamber is different as is the long hole down the middle. LOL

Well, let us know how it all works out in the end. To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised they agreed to do the package deal as I honestly didn't think they would. I know I'm more than half-ways considering looking into getting a .300WM barrel and bolt setup for mine, as .300WM seems to be about the max for the tactical matches around here due to wear-n-tear on the steel targets.

Basic Member

Yes I'm aware of what a take down rifle is but the Savage is not set up that way in original form. I didn't see it clearly in your descriptions that that was what Savage was doing for you. So they are converting your action and barrels to take down form? That's pretty cool. I'd like to see how they do it (if it's similar to what other companies do). Post some pics when you get it back.

Basic Member

I admit I dont have the slightest idea what a 110ba is, but how does the barrel get installed to the proper position to insure correct and repeatable headspace, for both the new barrel and the original barrel?
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

how does the barrel get installed to the proper position to insure correct and repeatable headspace, for both the new barrel and the original barrel?
    Ever heard of headspace gauges?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk

how does the barrel get installed to the proper position to insure correct and repeatable headspace, for both the new barrel and the original barrel?
    Ever heard of headspace gauges?

thats helpful, yes, I switch barrels on standard 110 actions. Im asking if this setup would/could be different.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

I'm not getting what you're not getting... use go/no-go gauges for each caliber, just like you would any other barrel swap. Make some witness marks on the receiver/nut/barrel using alternating colors to make sure you're getting approx. the same torque and that everything is lining up i.e. brake timed 'up', etc.

Basic Member

What I dont understand is does ghostwriter think both barrels will just twist on and off without the need to verify or set headspace. If so, and if correct, HOW??

one way is to "glue" the nut with locktit or solder.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

ghostwriter

You're absolutely right there "BlueAvenger". That's one way.

@everyone else: ...Also, think for a minute, this ain't rocket science. Do you realize you put a "headspace gauge" in the chamber every time you load the rifle? A headspace gauge is just a tool to set the barrel the proper distance from the bolt face for the round to easily chamber and not so loose that it moves. Pretty simple actually. In a pinch you could take a spent round and stuff in the chamber just before the barrel hit the proper depth threading it onto the receiver and closing the bolt so the extractor clipped onto it, bottom the barrel and lock the nut. Torque it close enough to be in the ball park and then you're ready to load a live one and fire.

I'll keep you guys in the loop...

...other than it is possible to compress the case slightly given the mechanical advantage of the threads, if a person leans on the nut wrench a little too hard.

There's a reason headspace gauges come made out of solid steel.

Not saying it can't be done with a spent case; I've done it that way when I had a barrel in hand and a desire to go shoot and no gauge yet. It works, but its not necessarily the best way.

ghostwriter

solid steel, true statement, but once the initial set is done with a "steel gauge", the muzzle brake would oriented properly and could be used to confirm the threading wasn't 'too much', or too little. Considering this rifle, the 110 BA, has a bake that is basically solid on the bottom, it makes a good second check to insure the barrel isn't too tight. I hear what you're saying, but a steel one wouldn't take up much space and a set of go/no-go gauges for each caliber don't take up much room either. Just add to the case and git er dun.

Basic Member

We know it's not rocket science. No need for all the smart remarks. I've rebarreled several rifles myself and while am no expert I have a good understanding of how to set headspace. What I and most everyone else on here was trying to clarify is exactly how you were doing it. The reason for that is because your initial comments sort of made it sound like you were having it set up as a switch barrel kinda like a Blaser, or some other quick take down rifle (Browing BLR takedown comes to mind). If you're doing it using witness marks where the nut stays in place that's a fine way to do it and you've also now indicated that you are using some tools which you implied originally that you could do all this with no tools. That's where the confusion came in and why so many questions were asked I think. Anyway glad to hear you're happy with it and good luck with your project.

ghostwriter

I think what I implied or at least tried to was the use of minimal tools. My remarks were NOT smart in your meaning of the sentence and if you received it that way, I'm sorry. I have tried to explain that screwing a barrel on and off is not as difficult on this rifle as it might be on some others.
    This is obviously new territory for some and if it turns out as I have hoped it will, it might catch on as a new method of owning two very nice high end rifles for the price of one and half at the most.
    I can only admire your ability and understanding as to how and how not to re-barrel a rifle. A gunsmithing trade is a mysterious and precise craft that the very least and simple shooters like myself are usually in awe at your abilites and achievments.

ghostwriter

Quote Originally Posted by say what
    it is a true switch barrel or take down if it has interrupted threads and you only have to turn the barrel a partial turn.

You thinking you have invented a new, secret wheel again is amusing. It has all been done even if you have not gone back in the archives to see it. there have been guys with screw drivers and hammers taking off barrels with out ever taking them out of the stock. so even minimal tools has been done. barrels have been center punched with witness marks, shouldered , nuts set with solder , locktite, set screws, double nuts. only thing left for you that is not done already, is to spline the brake so you can do it from that end. some one is already using something through the brake Im Owning 2 rifles for the cost of one and half, I can hardly wait! You not going to say buy a second barrel and change it back and forth on the same receiver, are you? ::)
    sure.

Escuse me but I never claimed to have invented anything, quite the contrary. I already knew this is being done on other rifles, just NOT the 110 BA model. I just wanted it on MY rifle.

[i]... and YES, if you already read the entire post, this is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Use the same receiver and switch barrels. Do you know what a 110 BA looks like? You should take a look.[i]

Banned
    forget the lapua and build a 338 ultra mag similar ballistics i got one and love it. brass is easier to come by.my 338 ultramag and my gunsmiths 338lapua shoot the 300smks pretty darn close.i have shot at 1400 yds it makes the steel gong every shot gotta love it i got half of what my smith has in his lapua.sinman use to have 338 barells.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12