Thread: Fluted bolt and length ????

Basic Member

Fluted bolt and length ????

I found a sight that sells fluted bolt bodies, i am thinking about buying one. I know that the Savages have the floating bolthead, so is it ok to switch bolt bodies (same action size , of course), as long as you keep the original bolt head, shield, and other parts to put on the bolt body? Will it affect head space, or is that not set by the original bolt head? Thanks for any info, rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

Re: Fluted bolt and length ????

If you change anything on the bolt it is a good idea to re-check the headspace. That new bolt body could possibly be a couple thousandths longer or shorter, which doesnt sound like much but its enough to change the headspace. It could also change the firing pin protrusion as well.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Ackley Improved

Yeah, you would need to recheck headspace. That being said, why not just send your bolt to SSS and have them flute it?

82boy

Bolt bodies do very, and it could cause more problems then just headspace. I swapped bolt bodies on one of my guns, and it make bolt lift heavier, and changed timing, that is even after the bolt body was cut down to match the length of the original body.

KRP

How will headspace change using the original bolt head?

Basic Member

OK, so i don't understand, isn't headspace measured by the distance of bolt face to datum line on shoulder? As long as the original bolt head is used, and of course the new body is not overly long or short(to where it makes the bolt handle hit on the cut out in the action), the lugs on the bolt, camming into the action, sets headspace, no?, and if not, why doesn't the spring washer between head and shield alter headspace? Trying to put this into a picture i can understand...Thanks, i love learning new stuff...rsbhunter

Basic Member

The bolt body has nothing to do with headspace. Small differences in length will affect primary extraction though.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

KRP

I'm waiting to hear the answer to this also. You aren't altering the locking lugs, bolt head, or chamber...how is the headspace going to change? You don't even need a bolt body to set headspace, you could do it with just the bolt head.

Ackley Improved

After rereading what was written, you are correct, headspace should not be affected if using the same bolt head. I am still guessing you could get your bolt fluted for less money than buying a new bolt body though.

Basic Member

ACKLEY IMPROVED....Thanks to you and all the others that posted...i thought i had it right, it was one of those things where the longer you look at it, the more ????? come into your logic...as a side question, do you load for the 260 AI? I have a CBI barrel right now being fluted by Kampfeld Custom, when thats done, off to SSS for a muzzle brake, then off again to be nitrided ( trying to support as many site sponsors as possible)......load data is not abundant it seems....just curious....

Basic Member

And to answer the cost factor, you are right, i have two bolt bodies that were just finished by SSS.....but always searching for something different.......rsbhunter

Ackley Improved

Sorry, don't load for the 260AI, but I have loaded for the 223AI, 22-250AI, and 280AI. I am sure the work up is the same, start at max load for the parent case, and work up. Kampfeld does nice work!