Thread: Which Savage Mark II .22 LR?

totch94

Which Savage Mark II .22 LR?

I am looking into a new savage MKII .22 LR and would like to hear some comments and opinions about the different models. I am considering the following:

Mark II TR
    Mark II BTVS
    Mark II BSEV
    Mark II BRJ

I will be using this for a range and small match competition gun mostly and want to develop something for extreme accuracy. Should there be any noticeable differences in accuracy from model to model or should it only be cosmetic differences?

Any and all thoughts, opinions and picture will be appreciated!

Totch

Any and all

HUNT 24/7

Re: Which Savage Mark II .22 LR?

Heres mine on her first hunt
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa48/WESLEYTHEBEAU/DSC01713-1.jpg[/img]
    Shoots groups like this with cheap ammo all day.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa48/WESLEYTHEBEAU/DSC01794-1.jpg[/img]

calpete

My BRJ shoots group like the ones in the photo. I could not be any happier with it. I think all of your choices are excellent and it will come down to which one you feel the most comfortable with.

Old No7

I'll add another vote for the BTVS, but if one of the others floats your boat -- then you may want to consider that too. From what I've read, there's "good" and "great" within each model, but I'd bet with some tweaking and load development -- and with good bench gear and technique -- you could get either model to shoot well.

[img width=600 height=402]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Savage_MkII_BTVS_02.jpg[/img]

I would suggest you consider spending as much, or almost as much, on getting "good glass" if you're really serious about excellent accuracy.

[img width=600 height=450]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Savage_MkII_BTVS_-_Target_50_yds_02_Medium_.jpg[/img]

And using good ammo helps too, Wolf Match Target does well for my needs.

Tight groups.

Old No7

scottscalls

I have a Mark II BV and my buddy has the thumbhole. Mine is unbelievable and I believe very unusual as it shoots almost any brand of ammo, whether it be match ammo, high or regular velocity, to almost exactly the same point of impact out to 50 yards. I've never seen a rifle of any type do this. For some reason, mine seems to be a bit more accurate than his. I get 1/2" or less five shot groups at 50 yards with almost any ammo.

KBR97

I know this wasn't in your model list, But the other day I picked up a FVXP from Dicks for 239.99. It came with a 21" fluted barrel, a cheap 3x9, and the accu-trigger. I couldn't pass it up.