Thread: Savage Benchrest Model 308

cladd

Savage Benchrest Model 308

I am seeking opinions on the Savage Benchrest model in 308 caliber. Just a few months ago I purchased a Savage Palma rifle in 308 to shoot in 600 yard factory benchrest matches. I just participated in my first 600 yard shoot and quickly discovered with the torque of the 308 and the narrow varmint forearm this was not a good choice. The narrow forearm does not let it track well in the bags - after firing a round I found the rifle after recoil at least one target off my own resulting in moving the rifle around too much to get back on my target. I'm looking at selling it after only 120 rounds to purchase a Savage Benchrest Model dual port in 308 (I like the 308 cartridge). I would like thoughts on the benchrest model.

Thanks a bunch

Re: Savage Benchrest Model 308

You will gain little going with the 12 benchrest, the 12 benchrest stock is fairly similar to the F class stock. The torque problem is mostly caused by the height of the barreled action and how it sits in the stock. The lower the action sits in the stock the less torque will affect it, the higher it sits the more it will affect it. Both the 12 benchrest and the F class the stock sits very high in the stock. Unless you are limited to a factory stock, I would suggest you keep the gun you have and change stocks. Something else to consider is Jack Neary (One of the NBRSA/IBS top shooters.) stated in the tuning video, if a gun doesn't track well, it can mean that the round is out of tune. I found this to be true, and very noticeable when I was doing load development on my 30BR. Something else to consider the more recoil a round produces the more it affects the way the gun rides the bags.

I would also suggest unless you are limited to the caliber to look for something else, there are far superior calibers to the 308, why handicap yourself? If I was wanting to shoot a pure factory class in 600 yard benchrest, there is other guns I would look at. First I would look at the 12 LRPV in either a 8 twist 6mmBR or a 9 twist 22/250. I would also look at the VLP in 243, or a 9 twist 22/250. Last I would look at the 12 long range precision in either 243 or 260. Get your self a good rest, with a number 2 bag, and these guns ride well. Out of all the rounds listed I would pick the 6mmBR hands down over everything else. Look at the Records just about everything is won and records are set with the 6mmBR or a variant of it.
    Patrick
    "To win in bench rest, you dont have to shoot small groups, you just can't shoot any big ones." ;)

cladd

Excellent point in your reply 82boy - I may well want to look at the 6BR in either the benchrest or f-class models. I have a Savage LRPV in 223 with 1x7 twist and it's a tackdriver. I lean toward the F-Class or Benchrest due to their 3 inch forearm - in regard to the 600 yard matches I am limited to the factory stock.

I'll revisit my choice of calibers - excellent advice.

Thanks

You may want to check class rules, but from what I have seen most clubs allow the used of a plate under the stock, in factory class. This would give you a 3 inch wide forearm, and you could use a stock that has a lower center, like a VLP., or a LRPV.
    Patrick
    "To win in bench rest, you dont have to shoot small groups, you just can't shoot any big ones." ;)

Out of all the rounds listed I would pick the 6mmBR hands down over everything else. Look at the Records just about everything is won and records are set with the 6mmBR or a variant of it.
    6br or a 6.0x47 Lapua! I love both and both are very easey to reload, brass last a lot longer!

I also love my 308's!!!! I use a Sinclair bipod which takes care of most of the torque issue!

I would also look at the VLP in 243,
    I also have a VLP 243, it's one of the most accurate guns I own! I bedded the stock and tweak the trigger! It loves just about any factory Federal ammo, and definetly reloads, any round from a 55NBT to a 105/107 BTHP!

The only other comments I will make is the 6br, 6.0x47Lapua, or 308's are easy on brass and barrels!

The 6br and 6.0x47Lapua barely kick and are fun to shoot! Very little torque! The 6br is the least expensive to reload!

you will love the f class 6 mm br I know i do. the only problem I had is finding the right rear bag the stock is 3/4 inch and flat not many bags work well.