Thread: Aftermarket recoil lugs, Benefit point?

Basic Member

Aftermarket recoil lugs, Benefit point?

I understand one of the advantages of the after market lug is reduced flexing, but what is the point where this becomes a factor? I can definitely see where this would be a factor on a 300wsm, but what about 300whatever, or 223? 308 win?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Re: Aftermarket recoil lugs, Benefit point?

sha-ul, from what i have read, the factory lugs can have varying thickness on different sides, which causes more pressure on one side of the lug than the other, in effect "torquing" the barrelled action on the side with the pressure....might be other concerns as well....rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by sha-ul
    I understand one of the advantages of the after market lug is reduced flexing, but what is the point where this becomes a factor? I can definitely see where this would be a factor on a 300wsm, but what about 300whatever, or 223? 308 win?
    If the aftermarket lug is the same thickness as the factory lug it won't be any stiffer. What it will be is flatter and of more uniform thickness.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler
    If the aftermarket lug is the same thickness as the factory lug it won't be any stiffer. What it will be is flatter and of more uniform thickness.
    Generally, an aftermarket recoil lug is made out of higher quality metal than the original manufacturers.

Aftermarket recoil lugs are ground to extremely tight tolerances on both sides AND both surfaces are kept as parallel as possible.

So..square action face, parallel surfaces on recoil lug, and the barrel nut surface. Adding everything up, it should be very close to parallel from the action surface to the barrel nut (or barrel shoulder).

Uncle Jack

A precision ground recoil lug will give you best results only when you bed the rifle to the stock.

uj

Team Savage

It looks "COOL" and you've just got to have it because everybody else says you do? ::)
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

ellobo

I had to laugh at NorCalMiky. He is right to some extent. What most of the people who populate this board seem to forget is that the vast majority of people who buy Savage and Stevens rifles just want a good hunting rifle and it will probably be the only one they own. Most are not shooters and never touch thier rifle between hunting season And the only shooting they do is to see if thier rifles scopes are sighted in. Sad, but true. Every yr. my club has sight in day prior to the season. The people that show up scare me with thier lack of firearms knowledge. Its a good thing we have a dozen range officers on hand. Safety is not part of thier lexicon, but many get a sharp lesson during the session.

El Lobo

lowglow

I'm no expert in this matter, but from many of the old timers that have shot Savages since God knows when,have told me, that an after market recoil lug really only shows a benefit with heavy off the stock barrels, because the factory recoil lugs do not have a consistent thickness through out the lug surface and causes the barrel harmonics to be inconsistent, thus lowering accuracy

Now I don't know if this is a fact, I'm just passing on what I have heard from others.

Basic Member

It's obvious your'e no expert because what you just said made no sense... ???
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    It's obvious your'e no expert because what you just said made no sense... ???
    Sorry lowglow, but sharpshooter's answer is pretty good. ;D

It's my understanding that the aftermarket lugs have a flatter, more uniform surface than many factory lugs. Will you see a differance in performance because of this? Maybe yes, maybe no. But if you're trying to put together the ultimate rifle, a new lug couldn't hurt.

Andrew

lowglow

Very true, but I guess my skills in Communication is lacking, but what I said is pretty much just what you said.
    I don't know if an after market lug is better, I'm still using a factory one, but I guess my point was that the factory lugs are sometimes not uniformly the same thickness through out the lug surface.

EGW1

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Generally, an aftermarket recoil lug is made out of higher quality metal than the original manufacturers.

Aftermarket recoil lugs are ground to extremely tight tolerances on both sides AND both surfaces are kept as parallel as possible.

So..square action face, parallel surfaces on recoil lug, and the barrel nut surface. Adding everything up, it should be very close to parallel from the action surface to the barrel nut (or barrel shoulder).
    Agreed.
    Chrome molly, machined in the heat treated condition, than Ground to boot. Add a corner round on the leading edge for a clean look.
    Bore the hole to size instead of stamping. Should reduce Flex on the heavy hitters and keep from loading the barrel to one side or the other from uneven thickness. probably more consistent torque for the Savageites too.

geo

www.egwguns.com

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by EGW1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcloco

Agreed.
    Chrome molly, machined in the heat treated condition, than Ground to boot. Add a corner round on the leading edge for a clean look.
    Bore the hole to size instead of stamping. Should reduce Flex on the heavy hitters and keep from loading the barrel to one side or the other from uneven thickness. probably more consistent torque for the Savageites too.

geo

www.egwguns.com
    Here's the thing I am trying to wrap my head around, I can really see where a heavy recoiling rifle would benefit from a thicker lug, say a 300 win mag, but would you expect to see much or any improvement with a 223? or a 300 whisper, or even a 308 (although there might be enough recoil to see flex starting with a 308 class or bigger)

On a low recoil cartridge, is an aftermarket recoil lug more than window dressing?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Ackley Improved

It is not the thickness that really makes the difference, it is the uniformity. A machined lug is flat, therefore, when you screw everything together it lines up better. The key to accuracy is to have the action, bolt lugs, recoil lug, and barrel all linear to each other. The machined recoil lug takes out one of those variables.

I personally don't like a thicker lug, just because it moves the nut forward and I don't want to dick with the inletting.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ackley Improved
    It is not the thickness that really makes the difference, it is the uniformity. A machined lug is flat, therefore, when you screw everything together it lines up better. The key to accuracy is to have the action, bolt lugs, recoil lug, and barrel all linear to each other. The machined recoil lug takes out one of those variables.

I personally don't like a thicker lug, just because it moves the nut forward and I don't want to dick with the inletting.
    Does anyone make an aftermarket lug of a similar thickness to the factory piece?

Ackley Improved

Midway sells one that is .200", which is very close to Savage's. I believe Savage's is .180-.190 or so, going off of memory. Most of the after markets are .250" or larger. Just type in "Savage recoil lug" on Midways site, and it will pull up a list of options.