Thread: Sniper Central review of a Savage 10 Precision Carbine

Sniper Central review of a Savage 10 Precision Carbine

Was surfing the web and found this http://www.snipercentral.com/sav10pc.phtml a review of the Savage 10 Precision Carbine after field testing they liked it BUT much

Basic Member

Re: Sniper Central review of a Savage 10 Precision Carbine

GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! The less people like em, the cheaper they will stay!!! To take a factory rifle out of the box, have a 2.5lb trigger, have it shoot .5 MOA and be affordable, no doubtthey thought it was crap!!!! It should cost $2500.00, have a 3lb trigger, shoot.5 and weigh at least 14lbs, so that it take two men and a boy to carry it.....that way it only gets used at the range, and of course shooting a bad guy @ 1573 yards!!!!! Maybe for their intentions, it is not up to their standard........to each there own....personally they ought to get that inferior weapon out of their testing facility and send it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

You know the comments on the Accutrigger I found a little biased to say the least. My uncle loves the Savage Rifles but hates the accutrigger, he has the "false trip" problem every time he shoots one of mine. I have never had that trouble, gloves or no gloves. I think that was just a problem that a few shooters have with their shooting style.

If .5MOA for MSRP of $880 is not good enough by all means I encourage them to go spend 2 to 3 times as much for the same .5MOA

More Savages for the rest of us ;D
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

Savage could cure some of those complaints by offering the "vlp or hs precision snubby," chop off the barrel to 20 inches. Tried it with great results. Have a shooting friend with pre-atrigger. He hates the new ones. His flimsy walmart .243 shoots cheap federals 1/2" consistently...that's with his finger draped across the barrel to hold his tasco scope steady. He has never cleaned the barrel, that's one of his other shooting quirks.

The 10 pc rifle handles good! What's with the sub moa complaint?

EricCartmann

I have the Savage 10FCP McMillan and his review on that gun was wrong, said it did not have pillars but it does. Only reason I know is because my Gunsmith told me when I went to get it professionally bedded. Told me there was one pillar in the front.

As for the accutrigger, it is pretty dam good in my book. Mine has a nice break with very little creep. I set it the lowest it would go, and so far it has worked without issues. The best dang trigger on the planet is the Gissele High Speed Match, which I have on my AR-10. However, that thing cost me $270. The Accutrigger is almost as nice but comes free.

That review sounds like it was written by a true Rem-head!! ::)

Maybe if he knew how to shoot he would not have had the issues that he had with the trigger. Whats with him talking about putting the magazine in backwards ??? Maybe this guy shouldnt be allowed to shoot... ::)

It was a nice thorough review that was laid out very nice, but basically he kindly said he doesnt like it.

The website it is on tells me all I needed to know. Lots of crazies over there
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member

Well the nicest thing i can say is, ... who gives a rats a** what he thinks, and i am using the term think rather loosely. I bought one of the first 10pc's out and it shoots just like you would expect, great groups at what ever distance You can shoot to.

Yep, pdog06 pretty much hits it on the head about what flavor of gun the writer likes. It's just a shame that people will let this steer them towards a big green that needs so much work to just equal a out of the box savage. blue

Basic Member

savage vlp .223 stubby with 20" mag contour barrel weighed in about like the off the shelf 10pc. Never put the mag in backwards even in the dark. This stock feels, looks & fits my shooting just fine! If you really wanted it to look like the other brand, paint it crappy-green.

joshco84

i cant believe they are *****ing about a .480 group WITH FACTORY AMMO AND NO BREAK IN!! Think what it will do after a few hundred rounds and a pet load!

Sounds to me like he is just a typical remington blowhard.

I think if you make your living engaging human targets at long range, and are faced with stress caused by innocents and/or the threat of detection & death then yeah, I'd say his gripes are valid.

For the rest of us who only kill paper and the occasional varmint, I'm not sure its applicable.

As far as the trigger goes...even some pro-Savage shooters don't like the Accutrigger, so ain't it nice that there are multiple aftermarket options available?

PBinWA

I think the review was accurate in it's observations.

Savage's are very accurate shooters but from my experience they have the following shortcomings:

1. The stocks aren't that great. Even the Accustock. It's "OK" but they have a "cheap" feel to them. It is also hard to find reasonably priced third party stocks that work with the DBM and bolt spacing changes without a lot of additional work.

2. The DBM system can be put in backwards (sort of) if you aren't paying attention. They should also have some higher capacity mags available for the "tactical" market.

3. The Accutrigger can be too sensitive. From the factory 10FCP-K was getting tripped just cycling the bolt. Sure it was set very lightly and when it worked it was nice but I had to set the trigger higher in order to get it to be reliable. I know there are ways to fix this but the average joe (I'm pretty close to that) shouldn't have to fiddle with the trigger system out of the box just to shoot their new gun.

For the price point though, Savage's rule. My 111 .300 WM was a decent shooter out of the box even with the crappy tupperware stock and basic trigger. It's still my woods hunting gun.

82boy

I hate to say it, but if you look at the review I did on the same gun about 2 years ago, I found the same faults, and came to about the same conclusion as the sniper central writer. They had a better version of the rifle than I did, theirs had the stay puff marshmallow recoil pad, something I sure wish I had when I tested the 308 version of this gun. (All I can say is that gun in 308 with the old hard pad is NO FUN!)

I would not say they was complaining about a .480 group, for that was THE BEST group they shot, but they was complaining about the AVERAGE group size which was close to 1 inch (1MOA) at 100 yards. (Overall average is .847) (("Reported Averages" Federal GMM 168gr .742", HSM 168gr Match .847",HSM 178gr AMAX Match .953")) ((( But we also dont know how many groups was shot to get the average size either.))) I would imagine the reason why the gun shot the way it did was do to the way the stock was torqued, and possible the model still having the accu-wedge. (I still say if a gun stock needs torqued it has a bedding problem.)

I don't know about putting the magazine in backwards, but I can say they I had problems getting the magazine to fully seat in the action. I own accu-trigger guns, and I still have problems with it. The system works great with a heavy trigger pull, but on the light side of things, with the heavy BT bolt handle it has it problems. All I can say is this, there is nothing more frustrating in the entire world, than being in a match and have to re-cock the gun several times in a row, just to get off one shot, as the winds are constantly changing.

usmc_mwroseberry

I am by no means a big fan of the accutrigger. Infact I prefer aftermarket triggers to the accutrigger by a long shot. Sound like another gun snob blowing hot air at anyone willing to listen in that review. The only review I need was from Tom Sarver at Thunder Valley Precision that shot my rifle two weeks ago. After a shot at 200 to confirm the drop table I handed him he hit a 6"x9" target at 600 dead center on the first shot and said, "that is one good shooting rifle".... Nuf said from a man that builds and shoots $5k rigs all day everyday. I'd love to send my stevens that I built to this so called gun expert and see if he can find a flaw other than the fact it has a barrel nut .

Good luck,
    Merritt

helotaxi

If you read around more on Sniper Central they are not anti-Savage at all. In fact a lot of their project guns are built on Savage actions. They pointed out problems with one rifle, that hardly makes the writer anti-Savage.

Basic Member

Lets look at it this way, a person who is or has stayed alive as a sniper in at least this country has most likely trained with a remington platform. Thats fine since most agencies do use remingtons. However the key is that they Trained with the rifle/brand they are using.

That means they have taken the time to learn the querks of the rifle they are using and have made adjustments to it to suite them and feel comfortable enough to trust it for their given task at hand. Even if you are using a custom made rifle you still must take the time to learn what it will and won't do, i don't care who made or what brand it may be.

It has always ticked me off is see any review of any product that hasn't been used for a reasonable peroid of time. The 10pc works very well for the job it was designed for, would i trust it with my life before i had time to learn it, of course not.

I am not a fan of the accu-stock and of all the savages i own, only one has an accu-trigger at this time. You need to remember that the 10pc was designed as a Urban tactical rifle, thats it, nothing more nothing less. I think the fact that it is very accurate to 600yds pretty much says it all for a out of the box rifle. blue

mytwo60

The reviewer is biased for sure. Any time you used words like "almost" "if" "maybe" you are speculating. I how he talked about putting in the magazine backwards and it "almost" fit. WTH?

If you are going to test out a precision gun, your main concerns is does it shoot? If it doesn't then everything else don't matter. All I've read was...we didn't have time for this and we didn't have time for that. Yeah, but you had plenty of time to write negatives about this rifle.

irondog54

Just some more elitist press coverage. Don't sweat it, we know what's great... we shoot them!