Thread: Competition seating dies?

TOO Builder

Competition seating dies?

I have been looking into getting a set of 20 Vartarg dies and am wondering now if I should even build a rifle chambered for it. I spoke with Kindler this morning and he highly reccommended the Redding type S full length match set with the competition seater. Good set for sure but right about $250 by the time it gets to me with bushings and all. Redding does make a standard seater which would save some dollars but is the competition seater worth the extra coins?

I think I have ruled out the Hornady FL die set. Much cheaper but it seems several have had problems with it working the necks too much and have not been happy with them.

Basic Member

Re: Competition seating dies?

The competition seater is nice when your doing the load workups for different bullets if you are shooting for extreme accuracy.. Being able to dial in the seating depth changes makes life a lot easier during load work ups. If you are only going to shoot one bullet and you can guaranty that the manufacturer never changes the bearing length than you can get away without it.
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Team Savage

I use cheapo lee dies for hunting loads.
    Actually a different lee seater die for each bullet works well, is cheap and not fiddly once you get them set.
    I usually only use 2-3 different bullets.

For serious target/hunting accuracy loads and dailing in 1/1000 inch seating depth variations, get a precision seater. Typically just neck size with a bushing neck sizer so you can vary the bullet tension.
    Also get a VLD chamfer tool.

RWO

I bought the Hornady set and discovered the overworked brass problem. I had the FL sizer modified for Redding bushings by http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/892435.htm.

For bullet seating, I opted for the LE Wilson hand seater die ($45 at Sinclair). My loaded ammo routinely shows .001" or less bullet runout. I turn the my case necks to .009" since my chamber neck is .2245". The .221 Rem brass necks run from .010" to .013" when formed so neck turning is needed just to make them all the same even if you have a larger necked chamber.

RWO

82boy

All you need is forester, that make the best dies on the market, and they don't charge an arm and a leg for them. IMO Redding dies suck.

TOO Builder

82boy, I wish I could get Forster in 20VT. I have their 6x47L and 204R with micrometer seaters and will buy Forster any time they make for a caliber I have from now on however I emailed them and asked about the 20VT and got a reply back that the only way they would make them is if I would supply the reamers. I'm planning on buying a prefit barrel so no luck with reamers.

82boy

Yup,that isnt good. I dont know what else to tell you.

TOO Builder

Tell me I just won the lotto and to go buy my own reamers :P

dcloco

Buy the adjustable top for the Hornady dies.

Basic Member

Vartarg dies are easy.....

Forster BR seater for the 221 FB (change the seater stem to 20 cal if you like)
    Hornady FL die
    Redding bushing die for the VT
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

NRV

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe the standard Redding Seater dies have the full length sleeve to hold everything straight. To me, the sleeve in the Redding Comp. Seaters, and the Forster Seaters is well worth the extra money because of the straighter rounds they can produce.

dcloco

Quote Originally Posted by NRV
    If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe the standard Redding Seater dies have the full length sleeve to hold everything straight. To me, the sleeve in the Redding Comp. Seaters, and the Forster Seaters is well worth the extra money because of the straighter rounds they can produce.
    Somewhat of a debate on the sleeved seating dies. There is 0.0015 to 0.005" clearance between the sleeve and the die body....so...things can still be crooked when seated. I have one sleeved die that consistently produces a LOT of runout. Cure? Heavy grease.