Thread: Prairie dog rifle muzzle break

Prairie dog rifle muzzle break

My main prairie dog rifle is a 22-250. Obviously im not looking at recoil reduction, I'm looking for ways to lessen the muzzle flip so I can see my hits. Anybody have any luck putting muzzle breaks on there varmint guns for this perpose? Any recomendations on brands?

tenwalker

Re: Prairie dog rifle muzzle break

I have only had a muzzle break on one gun and that was a 338. But I think you would pickup more muzzle noise and if you shoot from the ground (PD's) you would pickup alot of flying debris. Some muzzle break manufactures have a chart showing what recoil you would feel by using their brake on a certain cal. like a 30.06 recoils like a 243 type of chart. These are only assumptions. But a friend of mine was Mule deer hunting in Wy. and made a shot from the ground (with the brake installed) and said he will never make that mistake again. Dale

helotaxi

If you get the right brake, dust printing is not an issue. Most of the brakes fitted on sporter rifles do not take that into consideration. They do not require timing to the barrel/action and have ports all the way around their circumference. A military style brake that vents only out the sides and top would be in order for prone shooting since they are designed with that in mind. They either have to be custom fitted or use a series of shim or a crush washer to align the ports correctly.

I can only speak for my 243 win Striker. It has a stock Savage brake that can be turned on or off. With it on there is very little muzzle jump. With it off there is a dramatic jump. And it makes a really cool fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    And it makes a really cool fireball.
    That maybe the best selling point ive heard yet ;D. Im always up for making things look more cooler

Not sure if you will get the huge fireball out of a rifle lenght barrel as mine is 14". But, a 22-250 should do something I would think.

I built a 260 for some longrange doggin and I had a muzzlebrake put on for the same reason. Worked good for keeping the scope on your target so you can see the hit, which is what I wanted.

I used a radial brake but only shoot the gun from a bench, so kicking up dust from the muzzle blast isnt an issue.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Tracer

03-Mossy, you will end up with a lot more noise and won't ever be able to fire that rifle from the prone position, without getting lots of dust, sand or rocks coming back at you ok.

ranjan1

I had a brake added to my standard LRPV barrel by a local smith and the difference is very noticable. The rifle shoots very well and recoil and jump is non-existent.Almost like when you shot your 1st 22 rifle. I also shoot off a Caldwell rotating bench so dirt is not a problem and impact hits are a breeze. Go for it.

Basic Member

Never had a brake on anything smaller than a 7 RSAUM of my sons, but with 120 and 140 loads(medium size Texas deer) the recoil reduction has always been a big help. We have a little dust and dirt here in S.E. New Mexico, and i shoot a brake on everything...not much laying in the girt....snakes, scorpions, thorns.....so dust printing isn't a prob;lem....have three builds going...a 6XC, 260 AI , and a 6.5x284...all of them will be getting Vais style brakes.....By the way, i used Dave Gentrys "Quiet" muzzle brakes in the past, and just read in a new shooting magazine that he has passed...He was a great guy, and an excellent gunsmith, and he will be missed.....rsbhunter
    If you stand for nothing, Then you'll fall for anything!

fatdaddy

I had Sin man build a barrel for me this winter for Pdog use. Its a 22-250 AI, straight tube. I had him put one of his breaks on it. I shoot from a bench only so there aint no laying the dirt. For this application, I have never had a better rifle. It is loud, but everyone there is wearing ear protection, we're shootin Pdogs!!! It holds a scope image like a 22LR. Bill

dcloco

Consider one of the A2 flash hiders from an AR? This type does not have open ports in the bottom. These cost 8-10 bucks.

I wear good hearing protection when afield, but do not use and will not shoot with anybody using a "loudener" (muzzle brake). Too many shots in the day to listen to that noise and blast.

Martin

I had two installed. One on a 22br and 22\250. I shoot off of a bench. I don't know if this guy is still in business. Kevin Knight....High Performance Gunsmithing Hamilton Montana. He did beatiful work.
    Martin

couple swifts with brakes. Work fine for watching hits. basic AR stuff
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

will do just what you want

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

jon8777

Holland QD style brake, you don&#39;t have ports on the bottom so your dust print is less. You&#39;ll still have some blow back, but not near as much with a radial brake for prone shooting.

Brakes do their best work with big hitters 300WM, 30-06, 338 and so on. When you hear 60%+ reduction in felt kick they are usually talking about the heavy hitters. With a 22-250 you might be 10-20% less than the stated 60% reduction for your 200-300$ investment. (As a generalization, I know I&#39;ll have hate mail for this)

red dog

Maybe I am a dinosaur but I have tried a couple different rifle muzzle breaks and didn&#39;t like any on them. Have gone back to shooting au natural. Don&#39;t like the increased noise even with hearing protection. May be of value if shooting heavy calibers but I always shoot with at least one other person and we spot for each other. And you are in for a surprise when you touch off a handgun like a .44 mag with a break! Just have on very good hearing protection and be far out in the country!