Thread: Smooth barrel nut?

Idahojoe

Smooth barrel nut?

Do they make a spanner wrench for the smooth nut? I was thinking about padding it and using a chain wrench and punch to engage the hole. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks , Joe

82boy

Re: Smooth barrel nut?

Quote Originally Posted by Idahojoe
    Do they make a spanner wrench for the smooth nut? I was thinking about padding it and using a chain wrench and punch to engage the hole. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks , Joe
    yes
    Call SSS

Uncle Jack

This seems to be an instance where Savage forgot the first rule of design...... "Form follows Function".

I can find no reason, nor has anyone ever suggested a functional reason for the new barrel nut other than cosmetics. I do have one of the new SSS wrenches and it works slicker than deer guts on a marble floor. Be careful though that both the wrench and the nut are perfectly clean to avoid scratches. Then very carefully throw the damned thing away any replace it with a slotted nut.

uj

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    This seems to be an instance where Savage forgot the first rule of design...... "Form follows Function".

I can find no reason, nor has anyone ever suggested a functional reason for the new barrel nut other than cosmetics.
    Yes, it was strictly a cosmetic change.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    I do have one of the new SSS wrenches and it works slicker than deer guts on a marble floor. Be careful though that both the wrench and the nut are perfectly clean to avoid scratches. Then very carefully throw the damned thing away any replace it with a slotted nut.
    uj
    Nice to know the new SSS wrench works. I have a new Accustock Model 16 with the smooth nut and no hidden hole so it would have to work strictly on friction. However, if you are going to replace it with a slotted nut, why not just remove the smooth one with a pipe wrench since you don't care what it looks like afterward?

Uncle Jack

"..... However, if you are going to replace it with a slotted nut, why not just remove the smooth one with a pipe wrench since you don't care what it looks like afterward?"

For me, it's just a matter of personal discipline.....Always use the proper tool for the job.

I'm one of those cranky old farts who actually uses go and no go gauges instead of chewing gum and scotch tape.

uj

Never underestimate the power of VISEGRIPS ;D
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

The hole for the wrench is on underside of the nut

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    The hole for the wrench is on underside of the nut
    No it's not, at least not on mine. I've had the action out of the stock and the nut is completely smooth all the way around. IIRC, some of the earlier nuts made with a spanner hole but not all and current ones seem to have the hole missing.

showgun

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye
    Never underestimate the power of VISEGRIPS ;D
    Yip, if your going to throw it away, visegrips might be your ticket!

First try a strap wrench on it if no go then the BIGGEST PIPE WRENCH YOU GOT

davemuzz

If you don't have a hole.....there's always the drill press. U just need to be careful....you know...maybe use that depth stop gizmo that you thought was worthless. ;D

Dave

Idahojoe

Thanks for your input. I had a action wrench with a hole in the top cap, duct tape for padding and a punch the right size for the hole in the bottom of the nut. I tightened the barrel down tight with rosin in a barrel vice and wacked the end of the wrench with a 4# hammer and she came off, no scratches. It's my brothers 110CL and he wanted that smooth nut back on. after a couple of barrel changes he will start to like the grooves in the reg. nut. Thanks everyone, I didn't want to wait for a new wrench so I tried this and it works. Joe

lowglow

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint
    First try a strap wrench on it if no go then the BIGGEST PIPE WRENCH YOU GOT
    I tried the strap wrench and broke my wrench, and like you said I used a big old Ape pipe wrench and replaced the nut with the old style cut nut.