Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 varmint bullet

kdvarmint

243 varmint bullet

I've been considering one bullet for all around deer, and groundhog in 243. As ricochet is a concern shooting out to and pushing over 800yrd for gh's, I think it'll be best to stay with two loads. Load currently using is 105 A-Max, IMR4350 38.2gr, Fed#210. 22" barrel 9.25" twist. Chose 105 to retain energy and buck wind way out there. Any thoughts or comments? Thinking more on the varmint load.

Basic Member

Re: 243 varmint bullet

I had very good luck with the 70 gr Ballistic Tip in my 6MM BR. Very, very accurate. For one bullet to do it all, I would go with the Sierra 85 gr. Game King.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Hi my favorate 243 varmint load is hornady 58 gr vmax's propelled by 47 gr of varget, it's good for well over 4000 fps even in a 22 inch barrel you can't get more varmint than that.
    as allways reloaders beware.
    Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

kslefty

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye
    Hi my favorate 243 varmint load is hornady 58 gr vmax's propelled by 47 gr of varget, it's good for well over 4000 fps even in a 22 inch barrel you can't get more varmint than that.
    Dean
    I also use this combo of bullet and powder but the most I feel comfortable with is 43gr of powder which is at the top of any reloading manual. I would be very very apprehensive about trying 47gr of varget in my .243.

I fully understand, don't get me wrong tho, I didn't wake up one morning say I wonder how much varget I can stuff into this case, I worked it up .2 grains at a time looking for signs of pressure and none ever showed and the next thing you know I was at a full case, I am not arragent enough to start compressing the load that would be tempting fate.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

kdvarmint

Dean
    Seems like a light bullet for 800yrds.

Basic Member

70 gr Nosler BT was a great shooter for me, very accurate, explosive on the small stuff and dropped a pronghorn in his tracks at 350 yards.

KD I did not realise you were also going after ground hogs at 800yds, I can't fathom a target that small at that distance.

KRP

What's wrong with the Amax you are already shooting?

thomae

Nosler web site currently has some 6mm 55 Grain Flat Base Spitzers they claim are Australian Kangaroo overruns. Anyone try anything that light in .243?.
    Scope eye I saw the reference to 58 grain V-max.
    Would 55grains be all that different? (I know that sometimes a little change makes a big difference, other times not.)

Here's the link:
    http://www.nosler.com/View-Product.a...3-5fac4c4b1842
    best of luck.

Hey if anyone wants to split an order of those nosler 55g 1000 count I am up for it "Ill buy from you or you buy from me" let me know, as far as if the 3 grain difference between the 55 and the 58 on hogdon site there is a big difference, so either way I am purchasing some but in they end how they are loaded and your rifles temperament will be the deciding factor on how they perform, I know from my personal experience hornady makes 50-52-53 and 55g and in my 223 with full case of varget not much difference, on they other hand my 220 swift and 22-250 where you can really play with the powder numbers theres a BIG difference.
    Thanks Dean

I just played with some 243 loads this weekend. I tried some 75 gr vmax, some 87 gr vmax, and some 107 gr Sierra matchkings. All with IMR 4350. The 87 gr vmax's performed the best, with 4 out of 5 touching, and 3 of those 5 were overlapping @ 100 yards. I mostly just tried the SMK's because I had them and was curious to see if they'd shoot for me. Wasn't really planning on using them on pd's, but paper if they shot good. They were the worst of the 3.

I was looking for a 600 yard pd load. I think those 87 gr vmax's will do fine. I also worry about richochets, which is one reason I like the vmax. I think even at 600 plus yards, they'll come apart nicely if (when) they (miss) skip off the ground.

I'm going to try the same bullets next with H4831sc, because that's what the 6.5x284 likes to shoot, and it would be nice to combine some powders for a change.

scope eye,

If you end up with a batch of those Nosler's, I'll take a 100 of them to try in my old 6x47 (222 Rem Mag).
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

I just ordered them, so who ever is interested send me your info via pm, I also accept brass as a form of payment.

22-250
    25-06
    30-06
    300win

PM on the way
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

I have an ad in the classifieds.

kdvarmint

KD I did not realise you were also going after ground hogs at 800yds, I can&#39;t fathom a target that small at that distance.
    Two or three years ago I didn&#39;t either. Now, wow, I&#39;m hooked. 590 is my furthest so far with my 308. My son is shooting the 243 and he connected one at 725.

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by KRP
    What&#39;s wrong with the Amax you are already shooting?
    Nothing really. Just always open to advise. Plan to stay with it unless I find something that groups tighter. Working with that load now to try and tighten it up a little. I&#39;m not the master loader by any means, just a continual work in progress.

KD even being a master loader, is a continual work in progress.

kdvarmint

KD even being a master loader, is a continual work in progress.
    I guess as long as there is powder to burn, there is work to be done.

Basic Member

I use Midwayusa .243" 55g SP flat base (bulk bullet) in my 6x45 at 3180 FPS and they smack p-dogs out here to 400 in my rig.
    Im sure they would be better in your .243 though & faster.
    Sub moa for a $12 per hundred box is unbeatable IMO.

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint
    Nothing really. Just always open to advise. Plan to stay with it unless I find something that groups tighter. Working with that load now to try and tighten it up a little. I&#39;m not the master loader by any means, just a continual work in progress.
    I&#39;ve shot rockchucks at 850 with the 87 Vmax out of a 6BR...haven&#39;t made a connection at 1000 with them yet, not due to any fault of the bullet. I questioned the problem with the 105 Amax because I&#39;ve got two new 6BR builds(finished one today actually) that I intend to use them in for long range varmints.

kdvarmint

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint
    I&#39;ve shot rockchucks at 850 with the 87 Vmax out of a 6BR...haven&#39;t made a connection at 1000 with them yet, not due to any fault of the bullet. I questioned the problem with the 105 Amax because I&#39;ve got two new 6BR builds(finished one today actually) that I intend to use them in for long range varmints.
    Like I said I chose the 105s for bucking the wind and more carried energy. What I wondered was if a lighter bullet might better suited to the caliber. Haven&#39;t had as tight of groups as I want to see, but, have copper fouling build up in the barrel that I&#39;ve been working on to get out. I learn as I go and learned of this build up thing a little later in the game than I wish. I thought I was "cleaning" good until I read about shining a light down the barrel. "Surprise!" I got my 308 last year and have kept after it pretty good. Doesn&#39;t take real long to clean it. But the 243 has had a lot of rounds through it without a proper cleaning, now I&#39;m paying the price. Overall been satisfied with the 105s. Been using Butches Bore Shine and have been hesitant, but starting to work with Sweet&#39;s 7.62.

Hi to me there is a difference between "shooting varmint&#39;s" and "varmint loads", when some one says to me the word varmint I envision 3500+ fps and a lot of hang time and wall of red mist, heck my 338 win mag shoots those barne&#39;s 160&#39;s at 3500+ with a full case of varget so that to me qualifies as a varmint load, but that&#39;s just me.
    Dean

kdvarmint

I guess I&#39;m just the average varmint shooter atter. I don,t know what some would call my loads. I&#39;ll just call em loads I shoot groundhogs with.
    I don&#39;t chronograph while I work up loads. I look for consistency on the paper. Then I chrono what I&#39;m hunting with to make my click chart.
    I have to admit I don&#39;t pay much attention to speeds and spreads. I find the Optimum Charge Weight range, then tightest group in that range. Tweak a little with seating, and there I am. Sure I try different powder and bullets, and brass n primers. But I&#39;m no Benchrest comp. shooter. Only been reloading 3yrs. Think I&#39;ve come a long way in a short time, but don&#39;t want to sound like more than I am...average. Don&#39;t take any of this wrong.
    I&#39;m thankful for the advise I get here, and love the conversation.

Hey KD I am the first to admit that I&#39;m not as good as I think I am, It&#39;s part of my charm ;D Here&#39;s what works for me, I take in all they info that&#39;s relevant and try and sort it out as best as I can, and that usually gives me a good starting point, when ever I post load data all I am saying is that this worked for ME, and all it should be used for is a point of reference and by no means is it gospel or etched in stone.
    Thanks Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast