Hi Guys. I'm a newbee to this forum. I bought a new Model 10 Precision Carbine in 223 Remg about three months ago. I am really happy with the way it's shooting and wanted to share it with anyone who might be interested.

I hadn't done any reloading in years and didn't have any powder on hand. The only powder I could fine locally that was OK for the 223 Remg was H335. I had decided to use Nosler 55 gr. Balistic Tip, W-W brass and Remg 6 1/2 Primers (I didn't know at the time but Remg 6 1/2 are not recommended for the 223). The 6 1/2 were the only primers I could find.

I put a new Bushnell Elite 4200 4x16 on the rifle.

I was getting OK groups at 100 yds, 3/4", 7/8", 1", etc, but nothing great in a heavy barreled rifle and I was a little disappointed. I lucked into a can of Varget at a local store the other day and decided to try it. At the same time located some CCI 450 Small Rifle Magnum Primers. I also picked up some of those. I started out with 22 grs of Varget and worked up to max so far of 25.5 grs. WOW. Right away it was obvious this rifle liked the Varget. I hope the attached groups came through. The one with the 25.5 grs was also supposed to be a four shot group but after seeing the first three I couldn't shoot the fourth. That's the best group I have ever shot. I think it's under a 1/4 inch. Not bad for a out of the box rifle and my 68 years old eyes. I also love the Accutrigger. It breaks clean with no creep.

Another interesting thing to note I had tried to use once fired brass out of this rifle and only neck size with a Lee Collet sizer. On the 3 shot group I had full length sized new brass so go figure. Another interesting thing about this Savage is it seems to shoot better out of a dirty barrel and also a hot barrel. There is an article in this month's Rifleman that seems to support the accuracy benefits of shooting through a dirty barrel.
[img width=600 height=382]http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/gge515/ok1017.jpg[/img]