Thread: Powder

sauced10

Powder

I'm using a lee powder scale and doing 73 grains in my 300 win mag.

lostart

Re: Powder

Whitch powder?

Hi what powder is it some powders are more dense than others, and you can also try 2 loads at 36.5 gr to see if it comes out to the same level in your case, anyway come to think of it 73 gr no matter what powder is almost a full case and won't have enough room to feel the powder move around,
    please take this with my most good intentions but as you said you are a first time reloader, and a 300 win mag is not the most ideal caliber to start off with 70gr plus powder going off that close to your face, if something goes wrong it's a hard lesson especially for something that was suppose to be fun, I would start with calibers with less case capacity 223- 27gr 22-250- 35gr 243-40gr and gain some confidence, in they end it's your choice so be careful,
    Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

sauced10

seems good, got my bullets seated 10 with imr4831 and 10 with h4831sc 73gr you can hear the powder moving in there almost like a factory load. I was really anal about each powder measurement and these are 180gr core lokt/nosler parts.

Basic Member

73gr of either of those powders and bullet combos should be ok but it is in the upper pressure levels

Basic Member

and i should add that you shouldnt be hearing much moving because thats close to being a compressed load depending how far your bullet is seated out.

sauced10

Well they shot pretty well today at the range. I had two loads that I messed up and were a bit too long causing the bolt not to close.

Also is it normal for them to be tight coming out after a shot if the load is on the hot side?

SMK Shoe

Hodgdon online shows both of these as compressed loads. Have you worked up your load? the IMR 4831 is 1 grain under max and the H4831 is MAX load. If you have set the bullets to deep or they are jammed into the lands, you could blow up the gun pretty easy. Most reloaders reduce the max load by 10% and work up from it. that would have your starting load in the 67-68 grain range. You are right now on the edge (60,000+psi). the H4831 starting load is 69 grains with a velocity of 2851. max for that load is 73 grains with a velocity of 2966. you are using alot more powder and much higher pressures for 110 fps. (just not worth the risk). Most rifles have two sweet spots for accuracy, most are not at the max pressure's.

SMK Shoe

Hard to extract is a sure sign of high pressure. were the primers flat or still cupped. any extractor marks on the head?

us920669

Ditto above. It sounds like you are cutting it pretty close. No one starts out with the recommended starting load, but for Pete's sake don't start out near or at max. The 10% rule is good, but I usually start out about half way up and if there is obviously room, I start taking bigger steps. Just get familiar with your gun, your components and your data. Some data may be questionable, since it's never all the same, and different kinds of bullets behave differently, even if they weigh the same. Don't try to move too fast, these things will come to you in time.

sauced10

Quote Originally Posted by SMK Shoe
    Hard to extract is a sure sign of high pressure. were the primers flat or still cupped. any extractor marks on the head?
    No extractor marks and the primers are still cupped. Bolt was just tighter opening up and harder to pull back than factory stuff which is nice and smooth.

us920669

That's still a bad sign. Friend, when I advised you to use those possibly damp primers, I figured you had to be starting out with mild loads. Please re-think your approach to all this.

sauced10

Quote Originally Posted by us920669
    That's still a bad sign. Friend, when I advised you to use those possibly damp primers, I figured you had to be starting out with mild loads. Please re-think your approach to all this.
    I didn't use damp primers

sauced10

I started out on the hot side, next time I'll start 10% lower and go from there.

Also I had 2 loads that were weird, not sure if it didn't go through my full length resizing die correctly or what. The one went in but was too tight and the bolt wouldn't move down. The next one went in and the bolt went 1/2 way down and stopped, so I pulled it out and it took ALOT of force and noticed the base shoulder was smashed back which made it a PITA to extract. Not sure what happened. All my loads were the exact same OAL.

Basic Member

sounds like your seating die is screwed in too far. go back and read the setup instructions carefully. if the seating die is screwed in too far it will crush the shoulder.

Samdweezel05

What dies are you using? If your bullet seating die is set too deep it can also crimp the bullet and will make your already max loads extremely dangerous. This is not a hobby that you just want to jump into with out alot of knowledge because you won't do it for long. When I loaded for my .300 Ultra Mag I started with the lowest power charge in the table and worked up from there. Some rifles don't want anything to do with max load when it comes to accuracy. Your loading hunting bullets so I assume you plan to hunt with it. That deer isn't going to notice if you used a max load or 5gr less.

sauced10

sauced10