Thread: Primers

sauced10

Primers

Basic Member

Re: Primers

Water or other contaminants will likely cause hang-fires or refusal to fire.
    Both situations are extremely dangerous-deprime and dry, don't take the chance.

Hi at $30.00 per 1000 Not a chance, I won't even insall one if it gives me some lip or a dirty look.
    Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

sauced10

Run through resizing die with the decapper then?

us920669

There was a long post about that recently. You can use water and a stick to drive them out. Many people, including me, have gently pushed them out with a decapper and never had a problem. I almost wrote in earlier and said to just use them for plinking or early sighting-in. All the chemical can do in water is dissolve and when it sets up it's the same stuff. If ballistics are altered at all it will be insignificant. Gentlemen, metallic cartridges were safely reloaded by primitive people living under frontier conditions, who never heard of air conditioning and lacked the means to bop on down to the store for fresh components if something got wet (or too hot). I have nothing but respect for those who insist on space-program precision in reloading, but there is no reason to scare newcomers. Just check your cases carefully and don't use more powder or a bigger bullet than you are supposed to.

SMK Shoe

If you haven't loaded them yet, do a test. take 20-30 of them and fire them with just the primer. If all fire then you know the water didn't affect them, If a couple hang-fire or fail to fire, then you know the water did affect them. then you can deprime them without worry of discharging in your sizing die. I've de-primed a lot of primed cases over the years and never had a problem, just be gentle. For what it's worth, I wouldn't risk loading you affected cases to save 2 dollars worth of primers. Unless you know exactly how the primers are made and in what steps, you just can't know what getting them wet has changed.

SMK Shoe

I read your other post on powders. If these are the 300 win mag cases, then no way I would try to use them. 70+ grains of powder is alot to get started. a weak primer can really change the pressure curve ( I.E. pressure spike) for the worst. Just not worth it.

sauced10

I didn't load em, not worth it :) I just removed the primers.

Basic Member

Sauced 10-Very good idea.

gotcha

+1, I agree with SMK