Thread: Primer cost

ctrout

Primer cost

I was down to about 100 WLR primers so I was finally forced to buy more from one of the price gougers that happened to have them in stock. When I could still afford to shoot a LOT, I was paying around $20 a pound for powder and now it's $27. A bit of a jump in a year and a half but not a criminal price hike. I used to pay $18/1000 for primers last time I bought them a year and a half ago but the other day they cost me $45/1000. I'm near Boise, Id. The rapist was Cliff's on Five Mile. What are others currently paying and is there a trend towards a price drop yet?

Basic Member

Re: Primer cost

I got my first Wolf primers from Wideners this summer after no one else had any. I see that have both small and large rifle in stock. Price is ok. Wolf SMR primers are outstanding in a 6BR and 223. That is all I have tried.

Luck, Tim

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|737

JCalhoun

The last box of CCI BR2's I bought (few months back) was around $55/1000. Was happy to even get them. :-\

I paid $3 and change per 100 Federal 205's last week, limit three packages.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member

About 2 months ago I was able to get Remington 7.5's for $29+tax per 1000 at a major retailer.

A week after that at a gun show I paid $60 for CCI 400's per 1000. They were way over priced but I needed primers more than I needed the $60.

I have a show to go to this week end and I will probably buy more CCI 400's if they have them.

Hopefully if I get healed up enough I can actually finish tesing some ideas I started a few years ago. I have done some initial testing with great promise but can't really do a lot at the moment. I was using a lot of primers during the testing so I would like to have a decent amount in the event I am able to get back to my pre injury self.

Dolomite

grafs had some 205s on the shelf at there store for a little over 3$ limit 1000
    mdl 12 .223, bvss/"bondo" stock, completely polished,devcon bedded, sig zee rings, 36x40 leupold

Basic Member

Last weekend I bought a brick of Remington 7 1/2 primers for $30.99. That seems high to me, but I haven't seem them on the shelf for a year.

Team Savage

After about 8 months not being able to find any lg. rifle primers, a place near here had Win. primers for $32.00 a thousand. The funny thing is; they had Wolf lg. rifle primers and were asking $35.00 for them a thousand.
    Stu

paid $45 for a brick of rem small pistol I was all out.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Baja_Traveler

Three months ago I paid $55 for 900 WSR's (they had broken the brick and sold 100 to someone else). I was also happy to get them. Just got my backorder of Rem 7 1/2's from Cabelas for a more reasonable price...

Basic Member

I just picked up 1k WLR and 1k CCI 400 for $32 per k. They also had lots in stock and plenty of powder,they were selling Varget for 21.99 per lb.

Seemed like pretty decent prices for a local store.

Basic Member

Powder Valley will let you back-order WLR's and some others. I ordered mine less than a month ago and was prepared for months of waiting. To my surprise they showed up this week. $25/K, but there is a price break for larger quantities. I got 10K for $240 and with shipping and HazMat they were only $275.

Basic Member

Locally all primers are running $32-$36 around here at the shops.
    Online they are around $30 on up.
    I have 105k on hand so Im not primer short and some of these I paid $12 for a while back.

groupshooter22

You have 105,000 primers on hand! I would say that you would be part of the problem. Why would you even buy that many?

fl.hillbilly

105,000 primers , gotta be a typo, else he s preparing for the zombie apocxx
    apokxx ,er the end of the world :P somethin like that

dcloco

That is about what I have on hand as well. Luck? no

BLIND luck is what I would call it. About 3-4 years ago, seemed like I was always running out of primers, so, I made it a point to buy 1000 of whatever, every month. I wish I would have bought TENS of thousands....but did not.

Amazingly, I have some REAL good friends now that some people know that I have primers (not!!).

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by groupshooter
    You have 105,000 primers on hand! I would say that you would be part of the problem. Why would you even buy that many?
    I have been buying my loading components since 1973, thats around 35yrs of buying.
    I shoot 2000+ rounds a month just on p-dogs out here all year long as well as my coyote shooting & targets. Thats why I have my stock levels where its at.
    I have powder & bullets to match as well.
    I had not jumped the hoarding wagon when everyone else went nuts as I have been keeping my components at a level I required 30 years before obama. Im sorry I was way ahead of the rest and bought all my stuff over the years.

Think of it this way:
    You eat & you go buy more food when you are low, correct?
    So I shoot a lot and buy components to replace what Ive used to feed my firearms appetites.

Basic Member

I picked up 3K of CCI400 today for $38 per 1K. A little more than they were last year but still reasonable. They had plenty of primers, SR, LR, SP, LP as well as 209's. The same dealer had tons of powder and bullets also. He was selling 62gr 223 for $10 per 100, I almost bought some to try but decided against it.

I also picked up 300+ 230gr HP's for my wife's 45 ACP Savage bolt action I built her. I bought some small primer 45 ACP brass so everything I load now uses small primers including my 9mm's. As long as I can always find small rifle primers I can continue to shoot everything I load, 45 ACP, 9mm, 223, 7.62x25 and 7.62x39.

Dolomite

Basic Member

Don't think 100K of each type of primer is unusual.

sinman

I have 8-10k of primers, most are wolf and most where bought at $18 per 1,000

Basic Member

A lot of my current primers were purchased at $13 per thousand.

Some were bought for $9 per thousand.

Still got Hodgdon powder bought for $2.99 per pound.

Sierra Matchkings for $3.50 per hundred.

CJ in WY

Sportsmans Wharehouse had Remington primers a couple weeks ago limit 2k for $29/k. Pickt up 1000 7½ benchrest and 1000 9½ primers...That aught to get a start on next years doggin??

Basic Member

It's a sad day when someone is accused of creating the problem of higher prices because he had forethought to purchase larger quantities to support his hobby and now doesn't have to spend more money for the items he bought years ago. I call that planning others say someone that has over a 100K of primers the problem. A VERY SAD DAY> You should be ashamed of yourself and learn from his example. ???

firemachine69

Quote Originally Posted by ctrout
    I was down to about 100 WLR primers so I was finally forced to buy more from one of the price gougers that happened to have them in stock. When I could still afford to shoot a LOT, I was paying around $20 a pound for powder and now it's $27. A bit of a jump in a year and a half but not a criminal price hike. I used to pay $18/1000 for primers last time I bought them a year and a half ago but the other day they cost me $45/1000. I'm near Boise, Id. The rapist was Cliff's on Five Mile. What are others currently paying and is there a trend towards a price drop yet?

That's pretty brutal. I just paid $39.95 a couple weeks ago for those very same primers.

And that's from our only local gun shop that sells reloading supplies. In Canada.