Thread: How long between shots/groups?

How long between shots/groups?

Question for those with much more experience than I at printing very small groups on paper:

How long should it take to shoot a 5-shot group "for record"? How long do you wait between 5-shot groups to allow the barrel to cool?

I realize the answer is "it depends", but I'm curious in everyone's technique.

thanks!

Rocca

Re: How long between shots/groups?

I was watching something the other day and they were talking about shooting 1 fouling shot then a 5 shot group with 5 MINUTES between shots.
    I just dont have the paitience to shoot 30 minute 5 shot groups.

I have several targets at home that were shot one 5 shot group after the other. I suppose if I REALLY wanted the best possible group I would wait a minute or 2 betewwn shots and 5 minutes between groups. Maybe I'll try that next time at the range.

1Shot

...the first 5 I just clip off at an easy rate... I have some bbl's that will put-em all in there.. Others I have to shoot a fouler as it's called before they close up.. I usually just put my hand on the bbl. to see how long I wait..lol..

Billch

My local range hosts a small time BR style match every three months. The time allotted is 10 rounds in ten minutes, including sighters, per target. That's how I practice, I like to wait one full full minute between shots just to duplicate the match situation.

One minute sure can seem like a long time.

B

82boy

If winds are switch I try to get all my shots off as quick as I can. Say under 4 seconds. If the wind is calm I may wait the hole time to shoot.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy
    If winds are switch I try to get all my shots off as quick as I can. Say under 4 seconds. If the wind is calm I may wait the hole time to shoot.
    You get 5 shots off in 4 seconds?

Terry

Basic Member

When some of the best benchrest competitors shoot in competition it sounds like a machine gun.

They get all the rounds down range before the winds can change.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Balding

Terry
    Yes, 4 seconds can be a lot of time.

chj3

As you said, it depends, I tend to emulate what I might be doing with the rifle:

Silhouette rifle -- 5 shots in about 2 min. and then wait a while for another 5 shots

Especially with a T/C or Ruger No. 1 -- may shoot a series of 3-shot groups, 3 shots in about a minute and a few minutes between groups, then overlay the groups to obtain a composite group and look for any vertical tendencies as the barrel warms up

Hunting rifle -- Two targets, cold barrel shot on target 1, a quick second shot on target 2, set the rifle aside and shoot something else for 20+ min, then repeat the process to obtain two 3-shot groups and compare

For some varmint rifles -- a couple fairly rapid 5-shot groups, let it partly cool off and try again -- have had a problem with a couple rifles spreading vertically when partly cooled -- differential cooling stressing the barrel ??

I'm looking for variations as much as shooting small groups.

Basic Member

Terry
    [/quote]

Yes, 4 seconds can be a lot of time.
    [/quote]

Pat...that's just down right braggin'. You musta been having a slow day at St. Louis, cuz according to Mickey's big hand on my watch, it took you 35 sec. to get 5 downrange. ;D
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

this is common practice at the 1000 yd matches. get them off before conditions change.

Basic Member

so i'm not the only one thinking shoot faster when the wind is right. local club is going to try a f-class shoot so i went to the rangefor some practice and when the wind was good i'd fire off 5 rnds.the guy next to me thought i was kinda nuts i understand 20rnds in 20min. but if you get the wind in your favor take advantage of it that my theory.looking forward to my first f-class shoot.