Thread: Stevens Stock Shortening?

trentriver

Stevens Stock Shortening?

I'm considering a stevens rifle for my son. A standard LOP is a little too long (maybe an inch) for him. Can I cut the plastic stock and fit a recoil pad? I dont have any problem shortening a wood stock, but I'm not sure what's under there on a plastic stock.

thanks

Basic Member

Re: Stevens Stock Shortening?

The plastic (Tupperware) stock will be hollow under the recoil pad
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Basic Member

I have done this several times. I cut the stock to length I want. I then cut a piece of Poplar, usually from a skid and sand down until just nearly fits into stock. I then fill hollow part with expanding foam and let it raise up and cure overnight. I then finish fitting the poplar piece untill it will just barely start to go. Then with a hacksaw or dremel cutting wheel, make notches every 3/8 of an inch all around the edge. I then degrease the inside of the plastic stock with acetone where the wood will fit, let dry for 10 minutes. I then mix up a generous coating of acraglass bedding compound, add plenty of the glass flock, and coat insideof stock and fill all the gaps, and a generous coat on the edge, and tap in flulsh with the bottom of the stock. Wipe off excess, and let stock sit upright overnight, preferably in a vise. Next day drill holes and screw on your pad. I use poplar because it wont split or splinter out like oak, hickory will, learned that from my neighbor who builds custom cabinets, what he makes mos of his frames out of. Hope this helps, have done them from .223 to 300 win mag, no problems yet.

Basic Member

Nice cure for fixing the hollow Tupperware stocks. Thanks for the information. Even if you just want to add a GOOD recoil pad.

trentriver

that makes sense.

thanks

375Win

Being vertically challenged I've cut a number of Stevens and Savage stocks. I usually reuse the old recoil pads so I only have to deepen the screw holes. If your taking alot off the bottom screw will hit the sling swivel, I just shorten the pad screw.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/Browndaug/Dogsandrifles007.jpg[/img]

Stevens 200 22-204 Ruger Sightron 1.5x6 in winter camo, my pelt hunting rig for snow country.

Note how close the pad is to the sling swivel.

375Win

Ray Gunter

Your cold country rifle is very nice. Very clean, I like that.

Basic Member

375, that came out really sharp
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience