Thread: Alabama, pigs, guns, law

Basic Member

Alabama, pigs, guns, law

Have a chance to go piggin in Alabama this april. Anybody know if you can use AR style rifle there? Wanted to use it (223) and or savage 308. Hogs are causing a lot of problems. Told we can harvest as many as we want.
    Greg

Basic Member

Re: Alabama, pigs, guns, law

In Alabama they just use sharp sticks for pigs.

Make sure to bring some sauce.

Basic Member

That's part of the plan! Bob is over 6-2 , his son is around 6-4, so they'll be okay with the sticks. The other guy is a taxidermist, so he can tell'em where to poke'em. But at 60 with all the achs and pains, I think I'll stay with lead.
    Greg

dsculley

No closed season on hogs here in Alabama. Can't hunt at night. No problem with the AR. There used to be a statement in the regulations that the rifle could not have a capacity greater than 5 rounds. I just scanned the regulations and did not see that statement. One caveat - it seems that various departments in the states are trying to justify their existence in today's economy by increasing revenue. I have heard/read about some practices used by the game wardens in Alabama that make me feel they are in that group. Read the regulations, and use lots of common sense. Example: Even though it is legal in Alabama to openly carry a firearm for protection, if you carry your rifle with rounds in the magazine, but no round in the chamber, and you are walking near a road or railroad track and have a hunting license in your wallet you may be ticketed for illegally hunting near the road/railroad. Actually happened here in Baldwin county during deer season.
    You are right about the feral hogs, they are a real problem in places. There is no closed season, no limit.
    Review Alabama regulations here: http://www.outdooralabama.com/huntin...20FINAL%20.pdf

Basic Member

Thanks ds, glad to hear about AR. Figured about capacity. Wondered about vertical or pistol style grip. Same here with shells in magazine next to road.
    Greg

Team Savage

Cant believe you cant hunt hogs at night in ALA.

I hunt mostly in west Ga and you can hunt them at night but only with a 6V light.

In Ga you also have to use a gun that is legal during that season so in GA you are
    supposed to use a shotgun during spring turkey season, 22lr during small game season etc.

You might want to call the ALA DNR and check it out.
    I did not see anything about hunting over bait.

In Ga you can NOT hunt over bait unless the land owner has an eradication permit and the hunter has a letter from the land owner.
    Then you can hunt over bait, shoot out of a truck or car, hunt at night with a 12 V light etc.

If you are going into the woods after them I would take a 308 loaded with 180-220 gr round nose bullets.
    The big ones can be pesky.