Thread: 17 B.Mag: First Impressions from the Range

Basic Member

17 B.Mag: First Impressions from the Range

I finally made it out to the range this morning with my Savage B.mag and a box of Winchester 20-grain Polymer Tip ammo. The rifle was equipped with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50.

Given the scarcity of ammo, I was particularly careful in bore sighting and was able to establish a 100-yard zero in 4 shots. As I have grown accustomed to expect, the Savage possesses excellent accuracy potential. As shown in the photo below, 3-shot groups of .544 and .828 inches were achieved.

Now the less than positive impressions. I experienced 3 misfires in 13 attempted shots; obviously the effect of the rifle and ammo lot are convolved. Secondly, the rifle does not eject the cases. It will not eject a fired or unfired case and fails to work with or without the magazine in place. Cases are pulled from the chamber but not released from bolt face. Hopefully it is something simple, but an aggravating issue nonetheless.

I can't wait to field trial this rig on a whistle pig; for now I'll have to manually extract the cases. If the caliber performs as expected. I will anxiously await a custom Encore barrel in 17 WSM and the B.Mag will be converted to cash.

Westcliffe01
    I a guessing that they failed to install your ejector, they did the exact same thing with my 220 slug gun. They did send me one in the mail a week after I reported the issue with photos.

Basic Member
    Westcliffe01 - Upon further investigation, the ejector is missing. The underlying spring is there however there is no ejector protruding from the bolt face. I'm looking forward to my interaction with Savage Customer Service.

Westcliffe01
    I was thinking a blade type ejector that in fact goes in the receiver. So you seem to be saying it should have a plunger ejector which goes in the bolt ?

Pull your bolt back to the end of its travel and look to see if there is any blade protruding through a slot in the side of the bolt. This is the type of ejector normally used on rimfires. To eject the brass requires that the bolt go all the way to the end of its travel, not just back enough to allow the brass to clear the port.

Pictures of the bolt in the rear most position would help.

Basic Member
    I do not see any protruding blades. I removed the bolt and took some pictures. There is no ejection of a case even at the end of the reverse travel of the bolt.

Westcliffe01
    OK, this is an odd design

The ejector seems to be actuated by the slide thingy in the left middle section of the bolt. Is this part (not all of it can be seen) supposed to engage something in the receiver when the bolt is drawn to the rear ? It looks like the spring keeps it from contacting the rim of the cartridge until something makes it move forward.

We need 1 more picture of the bolt and then look to see if there is something in the receiver that is supposed to engage that central part of the bolt. Or am I looking at the firing pin ?

** Edit**Look at the face of that pin through the hole in the bolt. Does it have a blade on the face of it ? I suspect that is the firing pin and that the ejector should be in the receiver on one side of that rail that is in the center of the bottom side of the bolt.
    Last edited by Westcliffe01; 07-06-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Basic Member
    As shown, extractor claw and firing pin hole. I do not see any blade assembly in the receiver; apparently Savage forgot them.

Westcliffe01
    I suspect that a fixed blade ejector should be found in the receiver in the position shown when the bolt is all the way back.

Basic Member
    Thanks for your help; I agree with you but there is no fixed blade ejector. Hopefully someone on the site can provide a picture of a B.Mag system that is correctly functioning.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redmister View Post
    Westcliffe01 - Upon further investigation, the ejector is missing. The underlying spring is there however there is no ejector protruding from the bolt face. I'm looking forward to my interaction with Savage Customer Service.
    Which, unless I am wrong, won't be back until the 15th.
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Basic Member

Unhappy

Well,
    I just checked my B Mag, it has a "blade" protruding up from one side of the trigger assembly that can be seen from the milled reciever port, and from the magizine well with the magizine removed.
    I do not think that it is a seperate piece that can be inserted, as stated, it is part of one side of the trigger assembly.
    It is stationary, and "emerges" with the bolt fully in rear position.
    It appears to be plastic or pot metal, my magnet is NOT drawn to it.
    It is also in the orange area that has been highlighted in previous post.
    FYI
    Wish I had some ammo to shoot mine.
    Last edited by Monkeymaster; 07-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    Let him grow, Shoot a doe !

Basic Member
    Red mister,

Pull your stock off. I am curious. does your trigger group say 17WSM on it? Also here is a pic of the extractor, it is part of the trigger group.

Basic Member
    Umm your bolt isn't hitting your scope is it?

Basic Member
    Not anymore,
    Post titled "B mag scope tip" on my minor issue with bolt vs scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymaster View Post
    Not anymore,
    Post titled "B mag scope tip" on my minor issue with bolt vs scope.
    Where did you post that tip Monkey?

Westcliffe01
    So is the ejection problem resolved for the OP ? Is he not posting in this thread because he is out shooting all his unobtanium ammo ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    So is the ejection problem resolved for the OP ? Is he not posting in this thread because he is out shooting all his unobtanium ammo ?

I just obtained more

Basic Member
    Scope tip posted on this "Modern Rimfire" site under "B mag Scope tip"

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    Westcliffe01 - the ejector is missing; I will have to resolve with Savage Customer Service when they return from vacation.

Savage Gun
    Good luck with that, they've had my rifle since April 14th, still no joy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Gun View Post
    Good luck with that, they've had my rifle since April 14th, still no joy.
    UPS picks mine up tomorrow. What was the issue with yours? I am really happy to be returning it during the height of woodchuck season in a "no-centerfire" zone.

Savage Gun
    No idea actually it simply would not shoot better than 1 inch groups at 50 yards. They're replacing it they say.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Gun View Post
    No idea actually it simply would not shoot better than 1 inch groups at 50 yards. They're replacing it they say.
    What gun did you send in?

n4ue
    Hi. I'm waiting om my rifle to show up...
    I was at my LGS yesterday and when I asked the owner when the .17WSM was coming, he replied:
    "Your rifle came a couple of weeks ago. We called you and left a message"
    The message was from a employee (not the owner).
    It said:
    "Hi. we have received your 17 HORNET rifle" Since I already have a .17 HH, I didn't call back!
    So, now I'm next on the list, again. ha ha

BTW, Shootings Times did a test of the B Mag and guess what?
    The ejector was missing!!!

ron

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Hi. I'm waiting om my rifle to show up...
    I was at my LGS yesterday and when I asked the owner when the .17WSM was coming, he replied:
    "Your rifle came a couple of weeks ago. We called you and left a message"
    The message was from a employee (not the owner).
    It said:
    "Hi. we have received your 17 HORNET rifle" Since I already have a .17 HH, I didn't call back!
    So, now I'm next on the list, again. ha ha

BTW, Shootings Times did a test of the B Mag and guess what?
    The ejector was missing!!!

ron
    I am feeling more & more lucky all the time LOL WOW!