Thread: tax return = first elk hunt

dogdown

tax return = first elk hunt

well last year took a trip to N. carolina for some whitetail. this fall first colorado elk. got a nice tax return and i though what better way to spend it. i been reading and reading and reading on everyone favorite choice for elk. i have a 30-06 that will be coming as a back up/field gun and my .444 marlin as a close woods gun. whose got some good elk loads for the both. any other thoughts and suggestions very helpful. i could always buy a new to me rifle/caliber(new toys are always good). have a little more space in the safe

Basic Member

Re: tax return = first elk hunt

Fueling the economy, what a great thing to do with a refund!
    I can't help you on the loads yet, but the 3006 has done fine by me sofar out to 350 with Hornady light mag 165's 3x
    Life is short, make every shot count.

elgregoblanko

A 30-06 and a 444 is more than enough gun for almost every animal on the planet (i/e cape buffalo , hippo, and elephant/rhino)

i've used 150 grain federal fail safe, and 150 grain xxx bullets in my 30/30,, and they both punch beautiful holes straight through elk,, no problem.
    Your 30-06 will drop one to a knee ""EASY"" if you bang 'em on the shoulder.

Try to get a hunt early in the season,, otherwise,,

they've been chased around and shot at a lot before during earlier hunts in the season. And once they've been pressured like that, the herds could go nocturnal,, and brush up in the high country during the day,,(i/eMountains ectect)--where your only option is lots of leg destroying hiking,, and a couple rounds of buckshot into some crazy brush at 10-20 yards (cause that's as far as you'll be able to see).

Get an early hunt,, and place a good shot with your 30-06, and you'll have meat in the freezer
    oh, sorry, i forgot to tel you a good load out for 30-06. Just the shelf bought cartgidges by federal premium with the 180grain Barnes bullets are nice and hothothot. i've got my 06 sighted in with a Millett LRS1 up to 600 Yds with those, and have killed Elk, Mule deer, Ibex, and Oryx-- and all were hammered like they took a hit from the hammer of THOR. Good luck, and put up some pics if you get on ein the dirt.

nuclabuyer

The season you want to hunt depends on the elevation and unit you want to hunt in. Depending on the year, some times it is better to have a later season. Example is, where we live is a trophy unit so there is very little to no pressure on them up there. The only reason they come down is due to the snow. If you get a 1st season tag, you dont see crap down in the OTC units. Now, again, depending on the year, if the snow and weather turns to crap in the 2nd season that is the tag you want. I have also see it go all the way to 4th season before all the trophy animals are force down. You need to find a unit and area and go from there. A 30:06 is a good gun for elk, I prefer a 338 but a 30:06 will do the job easy enough.