Thread: 17 Fireball, Is it possible?

daisy2007

17 Fireball, Is it possible?

Is it possible to put a 17 fireball barrel on a savage action and have it feed correctly from the magazine and action. If so, what exactly would I need to make this possible?

Team Savage

Re: 17 Fireball, Is it possible?

Don't count on it. I worked with a .221 Fireball for quite a while, trying different things but finally gave up and went to a single shot follower. The short case would pop off the bolt head just as it cleared the chamber. Feeding wasn't a problem but extraction reared it's ugly head so I took the easy way out.
    I tried shortening the ejector spring and rod but nothing I did was 100% reliable.
    Finally pulled the ejector rod and spring and now I pick the fired case off the bolt head. Sure beats jamming a loaded round and messing up the brass. There may be a solution but so far I havn't heard of it yet.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

Quite a few people have tried with the 221FB, me included. I have yet to hear of any success.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

sinman

Yes you can, but how much do you want to spend trying to do it? If you really want a 17fb repeater then I would get a cz in 221 and rebarrel it

daisy2007

Thanks guys. The CZ is definitely crossed my mind as a possibility.

Basic Member

Thats what I did to get a LH 221FB repeater. I got a new barrel, trigger housing and mags for my LH CZ 223. It's now my main line PD gun.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

Did that with a savage/det mag a few years ago. Used a cz .221fb clip inserted in the bottom metal of the savage. Got the idea from davemuzz, a member here. It worked, but it wasn't to my liking. Some pics here somewhere of Daves's and my mods. If you barrel a savage action to .221fb, have a feed cone cut in the barrel. My opinion is, get a cz in 221fb and have Sinman make you a switch barrel. The trial project should be close.

Report from SSS post is the new 25 actions have a barrel nut. Maybe the new small caliber actions & mag could work? Seems Savage would offer those family of calibers.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by appleseed
    Report from SSS post is the new 25 actions have a barrel nut. Maybe the new small caliber actions & mag could work? Seems Savage would offer those family of calibers.
    this could be very interesting ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

20 vartarg savage with 221fb cz mag insert

After the fact, I am with sinman...start with the cz rifle. He has a switch barrel cz project in the shop.