Thread: pitiful excuse for QC on stock

TitanX

pitiful excuse for QC on stock

so i just got a new 11 FLNS .308 WIN in today. right out of the box, the stock fore-end is contacting the barrel. The gap on the right side of the barrel, down the stock, is at LEAST 2x wider than the left. Whatever passes for QC at savage, with regard to their stocks, is abhorrent. going to have to dremmel a bit of material off tommorow. just plain sad.

Re: pitiful excuse for QC on stock

Check the shelf the recoil lug sits against. Some removal on the opposite side of the channel touching the barrel may straighten it up. Remember too, the factory stamped lugs are not flat at all and can vary as much as .009" from one edge to another.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

kdvarmint

Before you go hacking on the stock, contact Savage! In my experience they "care" about customer satisfaction. Let us know what you do. Kevin.

82boy

Try loosing and re-tighten the action screws. sometimes when they are drawn down the action can move in the stock.

TitanX

yeah i took the action out of the stock to adjust the trigger, it is seated and the screws are tightened.

I am not questioning savages customer service, this is my 2nd savage rifle. i just sold a 11 FLSN 7mm08 that had the same stock issue. the stocks are just garbage. i'm just gonna use a dremmel and remove a little material from the offending side.

kdvarmint

Is it wood or plastic?

Basic Member

Check to see if the tang of the action is contacting the stock. I bought a Stevens 25-06 one time which also had hard contact between the stock and the barrel. Turns out that the rear of the action was contacting the stock and that was the problem. I found this out after trying to relieve the barrel channel. ::)

Andrew

TitanX

it is a synthetic stock, hence the "F" in the part name/number. I relieved the barrell channel a little bit, not a problem. i will have to look at the tang area, i'm not 100% i know how that is supposed to look.

kdvarmint

Ah, yes "F". A little slow here sometimes. I should pay closer attention.

ellobo

Try this, loosen the mounting screws. Then put card stock in the barrel channel to center it. Then tighten the screws. That worked on my plastic stock and it hasnt moved since and I can run a pc. of paper all the way to the barrel nut without contact. You may have to dremel out the tang channel on the stock so there is no contact at the tang.
    El Lobo

TitanX

do have a picture to illustrate what you mean by the tang area, as well as the clearance? i'm not all that "smithly" inclined.

gotcha

Titan X The tang is the rear most part of the action. The place where the safety is located. You should be able to slide a dollar bill under the tang on either side. Sometimes, even w/ laminate stocks this isn't possible. If you have this condition simply sand that area of stock, remount the action and check fit on either side. And @ rear of course................ Also check that your lug isn't contacting the stocks recoil lug inletting at either side. Contact of the lug to the inletting can also push your bbl. to one side. You can use plumbers putty, silly putty etc. to fill the recoil lug recess then mount the action loosely & wiggle it a bit in the stock. Then remove the action & check for & eliminate any contact points.

TitanX

so i went out and shot the rifle today. it seems to like 150gr win power points, and 165gr federal sierra game kings. shot consistent groups 1.5" or better. more than half the groups were 1", with some under 1". best groups of the day were nickel/quarter sized group with both the power points and the game kings. gonna go back out tuesday and really focus in on these 2 ammos. the gun did not like 150 gr rem core lokts. 150gr hornady SSTs shot about 1.5" average.