I have an older Savage single shot rifle in 22-250. The barrel says Model 112 Series J. I bought the rifle as a donor rifle and now am finally getting around to doing something with it. I am going to re-chamber it into something. Original thoughts were something along the order of a 6.5mm something or other. And I can't decide. I already have a 260 and love it. Thought about a 6.5-06. Or I could go vanilla flavor and do a 6.5x284 like everyone else. Or something way out there like 6.5WSM. But barrel life could be a concern with the WSM.

The I started thinking about going bigger like something in a 338. BUT...what my question is, Is this a heavy enough action to 1) safely shoot a larger 338 big boy round 2) would the action be strong enough to make that big boy shoot accurately? Or would there be too much flex and give in the action to ever get it to shoot good?

And when I say 338 big boy I am thinking 338 Lapua, or 338 RUM. I could probably get away with shooting a smaller 338 like a whisper but idea is long range. Is this a pipe dream and I should stick with the smaller cartridges in this action or is it possible?