Thread: Re-chambering a Savage 112

lomfs24

Re-chambering a Savage 112

I have an older Savage single shot rifle in 22-250. The barrel says Model 112 Series J. I bought the rifle as a donor rifle and now am finally getting around to doing something with it. I am going to re-chamber it into something. Original thoughts were something along the order of a 6.5mm something or other. And I can't decide. I already have a 260 and love it. Thought about a 6.5-06. Or I could go vanilla flavor and do a 6.5x284 like everyone else. Or something way out there like 6.5WSM. But barrel life could be a concern with the WSM.

The I started thinking about going bigger like something in a 338. BUT...what my question is, Is this a heavy enough action to 1) safely shoot a larger 338 big boy round 2) would the action be strong enough to make that big boy shoot accurately? Or would there be too much flex and give in the action to ever get it to shoot good?

And when I say 338 big boy I am thinking 338 Lapua, or 338 RUM. I could probably get away with shooting a smaller 338 like a whisper but idea is long range. Is this a pipe dream and I should stick with the smaller cartridges in this action or is it possible?

dcloco

Re: Re-chambering a Savage 112

Action will handle it.

If you go 338, I would HIGHLY recommend the RUM. Will do everything a Lapua does....and not bend you over on the price of brass. You might consider the 338 EDGE as well. 338 on the 300 RUM brass. With the 338 RUM that I built for my shooting buddy, powder capacity with the RUM is not a problem running 300 gr SMK's.

Ah...the 6.5's. Thought of a 6.5x55 or 6.5x55 AI? Built two. Love them. Plenty of mild to expensive brass is available and plentiful. Not sure if I would throat for the 142 AMax's or the Sierra 140/142's. Mine is throated for the Sierra's. Do NOT use the Sierra's on game animals, they are a target bullet and will not do enough damage, at distance, to take a deer down cleanly.

lomfs24

I have not looked at the EDGE much until now. Just so I am straight in my head, the 338 RUM case is just that while the 338 EDGE case is a necked up 300RUM case. This translates to a slightly longer case as the 300 RUM has a longer case. Am I spot on so far?

And you say this 112 action will handle those cartridges. I might have to look into that more. Uncle Sam has been kind to me this tax year and I might get to move forward on project or two. Kind of looking at that XLR chassis to build this thing on.

As far as the 6.5x55 Swede, I thought about it oh, so very briefly. It is a very fine cartridge to be sure but I wouldn't gain much from the 260 Rem. They are nearly twins. And I do love my 260 Rem, and so does my 10 year old boy. He shot his first deer with it this year. For target work I really like shooting the Berger 140gr VLD's. Berger also makes a 140gr VLD that they market as a hunting round. Same shape and look as the 140gr VLD target bullet with the same advertised BC's. But finding someone to sell them to me was a different story. Midway has them sometimes but my positive cash flow and Midways availability have never seemed to mesh yet. So this year for hunting with the 260 I used a Hornady 140 SST. I think it might have been a bit too much for Kansas Whitey's. It jellied anything it touched and I lost a fair amount of meat.

lomfs24

Oh, one other question. I have never owned a 338 of any sort. What am I looking at in terms of recoil. I am thinking, heavy barrel, possibly that XLR stock, or similar and mostly shooting off bipods. Am I going to need to think about a break or porting for the barrel or can you just man up and shoot it like a 300 Win Mag?

dcloco

On the 6.5x55 vs 260 info...if you are comparing in the reloading book, don't. ALL of the info in reloading manuals are geared toward the weaker actions of old, NOT a modern action.

The 6.5x55 or AI version, are very close or exceeding 6.5x284 performance.

338 RUM with 300 gr SMK's launched at 2950....have SIGNIFICANT recoil. Without the muzzle brake, 15 rounds left a pronounced bruise from the joint of my elbow to the center of my chest. I am not a small guy either - 6' & 260 lbs. If you build a boomer...put a GOOD brake on it.

Tracer

24........I took a .300 Ultra Mag model 70 Winchester and turned it into a .338-Edge! Now it holds in the case about 5 or 6 grains more powder than the .338-Ultra mag. It develops close to 60-lbs of recoil at the muzzle and I am in the process of putting a Vias muzzle brake on it, so I can shoot it off the bench. It is a lot of gun.
    A new Lilja fluted barrel will also be installed with this brake. The barrel length will be 28 inches and stock will be a hardwood laminate made of wild cherry, maple, ash and walnut.

ellobo

Unless you really need a big bruiser like the 338 Rum, or edge or others like them Think .338-06. More than enough oomph, a lot less powder, bruised shoulders. I have a .35-06 (other wise known as the Whelen) and it throws a 225 gr. slug at 2700fps. Do you need more than that? It all depends on what you want to do with those .338 bullets.

Ell Lobo

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by lomfs24
    I have an older Savage single shot rifle in 22-250......I am going to re-chamber it into something. Original thoughts were something along the order of a 6.5mm something or other.
    I assume you are going to rebarrel your action, not just rechamber it. A 6.5 mm or .338 somrthing is going to have a tough time going through a .224" hole. ;D

lomfs24

Cycler, I was just going to rechamber it. I decided in going with one of the really big .338's because I felt I would need A LOT of powder to push that bullet through the .224" hole. But the bullet should regain it's shape once it exits the barrel, just like on cartoons. ;D

To ellobo, do I need a big bruiser like a 338 RUM? Well, let's see, I already have a deer rifle that I feel confident would take down a moose but yet has light enough recoil to shoot small stuff like prairie dogs. I have a rifle that will shoot small stuff up to deer, if my state would let me do it. I have a couple shot guns, I have a couple hand guns... yep, got all my bases loaded. So one could argue that I don't really NEED a gun at all. So by default, no I don't really need a big bruiser. But I want one! What I want to do with these 338 bullets is throw them a long ways accurately.

Tracer, I will have to look at the options for brakes, I have not looked at the Vias break so I will have to look them up. I will also talk to my barrel maker or gun smith and see what they recommend as well.

And last but not least dcloco, I guess I would have to say that I was ignorant as to the 260 vs. 6.5x55 comparison. All I have to compare is reloading manuals. Where would I be able to get some more accurate up to date reloading data on the 6.5x55, would stuff online have updated data or older data? Might have to revisit the 6.5x55.

dcloco

I doubt you can rechamber a 22/250 barrel for anything other than a 22 caliber based cartridge that uses a larger cartridge case. Impossible, no...but the money spent would probably buy 2 or 3 barrels ready to screw on your action.

I am not aware of any 6.5x55 info that is available for modern actions. Anybody else?

lomfs24

dcloco, I know I can't rechamber the 22-250. Cycler was making a joke and I was making a joke back. What will probably happen to the 22-250 barrel is sit here until I decide I want another 22-250. Then I will push the chamber forward a thousandths and redo the throat throw it back on a gun.

I was looking around the net this afternoon at brakes and came across the Defensive Edge brake. Looks like a really good brake. But I would probably have to have a smith put it on since the brake has to sit horizontal to the gun. I am sure it will be loud though.

ESSCEE

check this collection of brake's out if you like DE's.

http://www.centershotrifles.com/sales/

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by lomfs24
    I have an older Savage single shot rifle in 22-250. The barrel says Model 112 Series J.

The I started thinking about going bigger like something in a 338. BUT...what my question is, Is this a heavy enough action to 1) safely shoot a larger 338 big boy round 2) would the action be strong enough to make that big boy shoot accurately? Or would there be too much flex and give in the action to ever get it to shoot good?

And when I say 338 big boy I am thinking 338 Lapua, or 338 RUM. I could probably get away with shooting a smaller 338 like a whisper but idea is long range. Is this a pipe dream and I should stick with the smaller cartridges in this action or is it possible?
    could be a pipe dream. you action is not a true long action and you may have some problems with the big dogs fitting in the kennel! stock selection is limited also due to screw spacing.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

lomfs24

Thanks Blue, I guess I haven't thought too much about the action not being a true long action. It is a 22-250 but the action is a 112. Looks like a long action as well. I haven't actually measured it to see. It is a single shot with no mag well and it seems that you would have plenty of room to put a cartridge in. Might have some issues with ejection if it wasn't long enough. But since I don't have a magazine length to consider I didn't really worry about it too much.

As far as stock selection goes, the stock that is on it is a pretty nice wood stock so it would work if nothing else will. Plus I was kind of looking at the XLR chassis and it seems they can pretty much put screw holes where ever I need them.

In your opinion Blue, would you think the action would be strong enough to take a large 338 style cartridge if it was long enough?

ESSCEE, thanks for that link for brakes. The other brake that I have come across that looks like it would handle the larger 338 well is the Painkiller brake. Kind of like the DE's with the baffles but more of a flatter brake design like a small milled brake that you would normally see on a 50BMG, just not so god awful big.

there all almost the same strength the single shots would be a little more rigid, But the strength would be up front in the lugs that all the actions share. Some think the lapua is a push, many have been built and many settle for an edge
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor