Thread: Cast Bullets

Basic Member

Cast Bullets

Anybody out there shooting cast in a 6.5x47 Lapua?
    I bought some 139 grain gas checked from Beartooth Bullets (excellent bullets, excellent customer service) and would like to try them for plinker loads and cheap shooting, but have no idea of a start load.
    Thanks

Eric in NC

Re: Cast Bullets

Have never found cast bullets to work very well in bores below about 30 cal. The 6.5's are really tough because they are usually fast twist too which isn't condusive to great cast bullet accuracy.

Be aware that you need to clean all copper out of your bore before shooting the lead bullets and clean all lead out before switching back to jacketed bullets or you can create a hard to clean mess.

Don't know the 6.5x47 at all but I would look into 2400. It works really well with 30-30, 308, 303, 30-06, 8x57 etc. with heavy for caliber cast bullets.

Might want to look at Lyman's cast bullet data for 6.5 Carcano or 6.5 Jap...

rhbrink

Everything that Eric says is very true but the smaller bores can be made to shoot cast bullets very well I've even lately been casting and shooting some 22 cal bullets. Not something for the beginner but they will shoot surprizingly well and cheap too! Go to www.castboolits.gunloads.com and www.castbulletassoc.org and look around lots of good info there.
    Good Luck!

Basic Member

I'm willing to experiment; and as to accuracy of cast in smaller calibes, there are lots of loads and calibers listed in the Lyman CB handbook that the "old boys" proved out long ago.
    I'm not looking for benchrest accuracy, just something to shoot that is reasonably safe, reasonably accurate, and a lot cheaper than the jacketed stuff that out there.
    I have molds for 22 Hornet, KHornet, 25-20, 25-20SS, and shoot them quite often.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Bad Water Bill

Definitely go to Cast Boolits. There is more info and knowledgeable people there willing to help than you could ever imagine. Been casting since 196? and learning more every time I check in there. I have cast many types of boolits for everything from hornets 221 FB to 38-55 and most pistol stuff and they all can be made to shoot accurately.

Remember you can get OVER 100 22 projectiles out of ONE pound of lead.

Lyman and Lee have a lot of info in their books on the better projectiles and powders to start with.

Casting your own is just another part of the hobby that helps you overcome CABIN FEVER.