Thread: barrel nodes

barrel nodes

can anyone tell me about the different nodes in a barrel. i have a 26" varminter contour 1:9 twist 243 ai barrelwhen fire forming i get good groups, when loaded a grain or two more than the fire form load not so good of groups. i was wondering if faster could hit the next node or settle for slow. i was getting like 2980fps on ok formed groups, but i should be able to hit higher velosities with these bergers(95grn vld hunting)

helotaxi

Re: barrel nodes

Impossible to say for sure. Only way to find out is going to be to try.

kslefty

H1000 is too slow in my opinion. I shoot a 6mm AI and 107gr SMK and use a faster powder than H1000. Don't get me wrong I have some H1000 and have tried it but have much better luck with 4831, RL22 or IMR4350. For your setup I would try some RL19.

i just loaded up some reloader 22 tonight since i have heard that is a common powder in this cartridge. i will have to shoot it tomorrow and see. how far off is the 6mm ai and 243 ai do you know? i need to get some data on the 95 grn berger in the 243 ai

kslefty

No experience with berger bullets but the .243 and 6mm AI are probably 5-7% different in case capacities, maybe a bit less.

82boy

When talking nodes, there is usually 2 nodes that shoot best, you usually will find one low, and the other will be higher. Some shooters like the low node, and some like the high node, it is a mind thing. I prefer the higher node, because with the extra velocity the bullet is less affected by wind, because it spends less time in the wind.

On powder I would say h1000 and reloader 22 is way too slow. I would say powders in the burn rage of 4350 or 4831 would be the ticket. Give Walt Berger a email, he will give you top notch advise. It usually takes Walt a few days to get back to you so be patient.

i already emailed berger they gave me 243 data because they didnt have anything on243ai. i guess ill have to go get some powder. i have these powders now and was hoping to use these, but i guess not. varget, reloaders 22,19, and 15, xbr, retumbo, benchmark

82boy

I looked in the Sierra book and they do not mention any AI data. I can say that with a strait 243 I shot 95gr Bergers and 107 SMK's with h4350 and had supurb accuarcy out to 1000 yards.

All I can say is try this.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Basic Member

This what ladder tests help narrow down, with fewer experimental loads.
    Jeff518