Thread: Propane weed burner, ice/snow melter..

Propane weed burner, ice/snow melter..

During this snow season I got to thinking about the roofer guys that use a propane torch to melt tar and roofing materials. I looked them up on Amazon.co and saw this one from Northeastern Tool & Equipment for $39.95.
    I found many from 100,000 btu, 250,000, 1.000.000 and this one rated at 1,125,000 btu. Somewhere there was one rated at 1.25 and 2 million btu.
    I know many of you use these things to burn off weeds on your land. Have you ever tried one on snow or ice? If you have how did it work, how fast is it, how many btu is your unit?
    I am seriously thinking if it will quickly melt snow and ice that I want one. I'm thinking of a good large wheeled hand truck, two 20 lb. propane tanks strapped down with several bungee straps and this unit or maybe two, one in each hand.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._403738_403738

Feed back for winter snow and ice use is appreciated. I popped a tendon loose from my left shoulder to my elbow and injured the left sciatic nerve down my left leg. After two months I'm still hobbling around and each step feels like getting stuck with a needle behind my knee. Pain s**ks but I'm getting used to acting like Chester in Gun smoke.

Thanks,

Pete K.

Super Moderator

Re: Propane weed burner, ice/snow melter..

Wasn't that Festus?
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

They don't work worth a sh-- ,it will melt snow ok ,but flames just don't melt ice very well,water transfer's heat way to well,the other thing is for a propan tank to "evaporate" enough liquid to gas for even 100,000 btu's you would need atleast a 100lbs tank,from what I read 20lbs can run about 40,000 btu's

http://www.nbmc.com/heaters/lpchart.html

112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

you will pop your concrete before you evaporate the water! ever seen concrete explode from direct heat?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, .416 Taylor

We use something similar to melt snow from our tracks on the RR. They do indeed work for snow but not for ice or water evaporation. I would not use them over concrete at all, as mentioned the flame will wreck concrete.

Thanks to all for your knowledgeable input. It seems that for a 100 foot driveway that it might work for snow only if I kept on top of it and used it every few hours during a snow event. It also looks like larger propane tanks teamed together and a larger diameter hose would be needed. It sounds like to make it work well it would require a lot of propane so it would become expensive compared to say a $700 dual stage snow blower which you buy once and have less aggravation using. I never thought of the concrete exploding but a very good point. It seemed to good to be a real consideration but I thought that if I could walk down the black top driveway when it had say 2" to 4" of new snow, that it might make quick work of melting the snow. I thought that sodium chloride like you use in water softeners spread over the wet surface would help keep it from turning to ice.
    As you know this year you couldn&#39;t buy anything related to snow from any of the big box stores or the local small engine guys including shovels, roof rakes, snow removal machines etc. Thank God for young strong teenager neighbors that want to make a buck or a few hundred!!

Thanks again,
    Aching Pete ;D

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    Wasn&#39;t that Festus?
    Yep, Festus... "There&#39;s been a killin&#39; Mr. Dillin" !!

Thanks... Pete

Parley Baer as Dillon&#39;s assistant Chester Proudfoot. 1952 radio version
    TV run 1955 to 1975 and was the longest running series until LAW and Order. Arness taking the lead role of Marshal Matt Dillon upon the recommendation of John Wayne, who also introduced the first episode of the series; Dennis Weaver playing Chester Goode

In 1962, Burt Reynolds was added to the show&#39;s lineup, as the "halfbreed" blacksmith Quint Asper and rode the span between characters Chester Goode and Festus Haggen. Three actors, who later played Dodge deputies, Ken Curtis, Roger Ewing and Buck Taylor, had previous guest roles. In 1963, singer and character actor Ken Curtis had a guest shot as a shady ladies&#39; man. In 1964, Weaver left the series to venture out as the lead in his own NBC series, Kentucky Jones.

Ken Curtis, reared in Las Animas, Colorado, and for a time a son-in-law of director John Ford, returned in 1964, and was cast to play the stubbornly illiterate hillbilly Festus Haggen. The character came to town (in an episode titled "Us Haggens") to avenge the death of his twin brother, Fergus Haggen, and another brother, Jeff Haggen, and decided to stay in Dodge when the deed was done. Initially on the fringes of Dodge society, Festus was slowly phased in as a reliable sidekick/ part-time deputy to Matt Dillon when Reynolds left in 1965. In the episode "Alias Festus Haggen," he is mistaken for a robber and killer whom he has to expose to free himself (both parts played by Curtis). In a comic relief episode ("Mad Dog"), another case of mistaken identity forces Festus to fight three sons of a man killed by his cousin. Chester and Festus were perhaps Dillon&#39;s more popular sidekicks, though others would pin-on a tin badge as deputy for two and a half to seven-year stints, including Roger Ewing (1966–1968) as Thad Greenwood and Burt Reynolds as Quint Asper (1962–1965). Buck Taylor, who played gunsmith Newly O&#39;Brian from 1967–1975, also served as back-up deputy and doctor, having some studies in medicine.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, .416 Taylor

Super Moderator

Yeah but Festus was the guy with the gimpy walk if I remember right.

A good Snow blower is the ticket. make sure you get one with angled handles. straight ones are tough on the wrists.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Dennis Weaver as Chester had the gimpy walk.

Quote Originally Posted by twarren
    it was never brought up weather it was a gimp or wooden.
    Festus was the hillbilly that always argued with Doc and never turned down a free drink!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Festus was the hillbilly that always argued with Doc and never turned down a free drink!
    So did Gabby Hayes start you on the road to TV trivia?

Super Moderator

OK, I stand corrected. Did like the Festus character though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    So did Gabby Hayes start you on the road to TV trivia?
    Clayton Moore

Super Moderator

The Lone Ranger