Thread: Source for bulk action screws

MDHOGGER

Source for bulk action screws

I recently have bought a couple of laminate stock for projects and the necessary parts to finish. I of course bought sets of front and rear action screw sets from a couple of sources for between $8 and $11 dollars a set. I began to have one of the screws open up from the constant fitting of the action and barrel to the stock. I was wanting to know if anyone has found a source for bulk screws that would be the equivalent or better quality. I removed front and rear screws from a few of my wood/laminate stocks and get an average front action screw length of 1 1/8" to 1 3/16" and rear action screw lengths of 1 3/8" to 1 5/8". My thought was to just buy a number of 1 3/4" long screws and cut to the required length. I have gone to the local Home Depot and Lowes with no luck finding a match. I found these online at Fastenal but not sure that the black oxide finish is the correct match. http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...l.ex?sku=24714 Anyone with a better source.

dcloco

Re: Source for bulk action screws

I buy stainless cap screws from ACE Hardware in their bolt section. Cut them off to the length you need....

+1, ACE "is the place"..............their cap screws are harder than the factory screws too.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

MDHOGGER

I don't have a Ace Hardware near me but I took a chance on a online place called Bolt Depot. I am trying box of 100 1 1/4" socket heads for the front action screws for $11.27. Also a little more expensive button head screws for the rear action screw at 1 3/4". And a few stainless too. http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=25&cd=1227
    http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=25&cd=1227 I have either made a big score or wasted a few bucks.

TOO Builder

I just ordered some rear trigger guard (the wood screw ones)screws and a front tg screw right from Savage. I think they were $2 or so, cheaper than Brownells also.

MDHOGGER

Too Builder whats the process to order items directly from Savage. Is there a online process or do you call them up. What method is used for payments?

TOO Builder

Just go to Savagearms.com and click on the parts finder link. It asks for the serial number of your rifle. I needed some stainless screws so I just typed in the serial number of my 12bvss. A parts diagram comes up and you just click on the number of the part you want. Most items come up as available to gunsmiths only however the actions screws didn't.

I had to order some T-shirts also of course and then you just use your credit card. Simple deal.

sinman

I order mine from mcmaster Carr in bulk. I with the ss ones. The only problem is on some stocks you have to file the front one down a little but they look way better than factory.

blom

If your'e going to be doing a lot of stock fitting ( off and on ) Midway and Brownels both offer stock fitting screws, much easier to work with, they have a tee handle instead of slot or hex holes.

it's not really bulk, but you can buy them at brownells